Collector Symbology from table field

12-14-2015 12:49 PM
RaymondGoins
Occasional Contributor

I have setup the fire hydrant Inspections for collector. I am trying to do 2 things. Have the inspectors in the field update asset info by editing the asset values and also add an inspection. The main purpose for this is to collect hydrant pressures. I would like to symbolize the hydrants based off of a field. In this case it is STATIC_PRES. I would like to have Hydrants with a value of 0 to be symbolize red and all others to be green. So if the hydrant is red, they know they have to get a static pressure.

Couple problems I have run into.

First Attempt:

Using arcmap I have accomplished this using the symbology and publishing the service. The map looks great. The problem is when I try to edit the static pressure it has become a drop down and the only thing I can select are 0 and "no value".

Second attempt:

I took the symbology off and published the service with just a basic symbol. I created the map and used the change style screen to set up a color ramp that goes from 0 and >1 . This seems to work with the online map but collector will not recognize the symbology and makes all the hydrants the same.

Anyone have any work arounds for this? Becoming a royal pain in the A$# !!

Thanks

Ray

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
16 Replies
RandyBurton
MVP Alum

suspect that AGOL cannot symbolize the hydrants using Categories without a defined domain.  My tests were providing results similar to yours.

I noticed that you are trying to use green for any valid pressure reading (including a NULL value) and red for zero.  When I tried to publish a feature where the values zero and null were symbolized as red hydrants and any other value as green hydrant, the feature failed to publish with an unknown error.

My suggestion would be to create a domain of valid pressures  (such as: 0, under 10, 11, 12,...., 49, 50, over 50).   For the pressure field, prohibit null values and set the default value to 0.  In the symbology categories, add the zero category as a red hydrant. All other values in the domain will be green hydrants.  The table to domain tool might make it easier to enter a long list of numbers.  There is also a sort domain tool that is helpful in making sure the list is in a logical order, either by the code or the label.

0 Kudos
RandyBurton
MVP Alum

I did a little more experimenting.  I was only able to get symbology to work with a coded value domain as described in my previous post and have it work in a manner you are needing.

It did not seem possible to use a range domain with a field being used for symbology.  This may be a limitation of AGOL/Collector.  Perhaps ESRI could answer this.

0 Kudos
AudreaMartens
New Contributor

Did you ever find a solution to this?  I am having the exact same issue with Water Meter Readings.  Once a reading is entered into Collector, I want the meter to change from Red to Green.  I have tried to symbolize the same way as you did above.  There are no Domain properties set.  I even tried setting a range domain, which didn't throw an error, but still would only let me select 0 in Collector.  Just wondering if you solved this, since coded value domain isn't an option.  Only way I can see to make it work is create a separate "Done" field and add an extra step to the field collection process.

0 Kudos
ScottFierro2
Occasional Contributor III

Just checking, is everyone fighting with this using purely hosted solutions or is anyone supporting with their own backend servers?

Would have to think over a fully AGOL solution and its options but if anyone has their own backend this is pretty easy, especially if you are using live mode and not dealing with going offline but still doable with offline. Just gets into using behind the scenes wizardry on your database side.

0 Kudos
AudreaMartens
New Contributor

I am using a hosted service.

0 Kudos
HannahPethen
New Contributor

I have the exact same issue and am also using a hosted service.

0 Kudos
JoeBryant2
Occasional Contributor II

To come at this problem from a different angle... Could you create a copy of the layer in your map and then create separate definition queries and symbols for each layer?

Your definition query would filter one layer ("Hydrants Needing Static Pressure Recorded") to values of <Null> or 0 in the StaticPressure field, and the "Hydrants w/ Pressure Recorded" layer would be filtered to show only StaticPressure values >0. Then you could symbolize them as you want.

After the StaticPressure field is updated using Collector, the feature should be filtered into the appropriate layer in the web map.

0 Kudos