Collector requiring send after each point

Jump to solution
10-09-2019 09:19 AM
MikeTschudi
Occasional Contributor

After collecting a point, the display confirms the entered point, then offers a button to update the point (see first attachment).  There doesn't appear to be any way to clear this display other than to send the point, which doesn't work offline. 

Reverting to online, I send the point, then a display would appear offering the opportunity to edit the point that I just sent (see second attachment).  Fortunately, that display could be closed and I could move on to the next point.

Reproduced with a point layer created this year and one from a few years ago.  I am the owner of the layers.

I recall Collector having a much smoother interface a few years ago:  I could enter points quickly while offline, and then upload them all at once back at the office.  Is there a setting that brings back the older style?  The app is currently configured for downloading only via Wi-Fi and with automatic synchronization off.

Collector 19.1.0.2666, iOS 13.1.2, iPhone XR

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

We figured it out! Mike was going into airplane mode to be offline, but hadn't downloaded the map before doing so. So submitting was failing, and he was being left in the dialog for adding the point since his work wasn't saved yet. Once the map was downloaded before going offline, this worked. 

Esri Education Team

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Kylie
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Mike - In your image "stuck.png" it appears that the point didn't submit correctly. Even if you are working offline in a downloaded map area, submit the point, and then it is stored on your device to be uploaded (synced) later once you have a connection. What are you seeing if you submit when you see "stuck.png"? The "Update point" button is about updating the geometry/location of the point, not saving your work.

Esri Education Team
0 Kudos
MikeTschudi
Occasional Contributor

Hi Kylie -- The display and behavior are the same offline and online.  The only difference is that I can't send while offline, and so all that I can do is collect one point and modify it over and over again.

There was no way to clear the "Update point" button display without sending.  With each collected point, once I sent the point, I saw the display in "stuck2.png".  I closed that display, and then I'm able to add the next point.  With the workaround, I collected 37 points this way, albeit tediously.

(Geonet reordered the attachments after I submitted the question.  "stuck.png" shows the screen after collecting a point with the white/blue cross; "stuck2.png" shows the screen after I tap "send" and the send is successful.  The first was done in the field yesterday with a new layer; the second was done this morning with an older layer that I knew worked from a few years ago.)

What you describe is what I remember from using the app a few years ago:  I just collect points on the device whether I'm online or offline and submit/sync them when connectivity returns.  I could update a point by selecting it and choosing to modify it.

0 Kudos
Kylie
Esri Regular Contributor

Mike Tschudi wrote:

The only difference is that I can't send while offline, and so all that I can do is collect one point and modify it over and over again.

Could you elaborate on this? What happens when you submit when you are offline? It should work, and store them locally to sync later. If you aren't seeing that, it would be something to look into.

Esri Education Team
0 Kudos
Kylie
Esri Regular Contributor

We figured it out! Mike was going into airplane mode to be offline, but hadn't downloaded the map before doing so. So submitting was failing, and he was being left in the dialog for adding the point since his work wasn't saved yet. Once the map was downloaded before going offline, this worked. 

Esri Education Team