Collector Layer Not Showing Up

Jump to solution
05-13-2019 08:13 AM
AnninaRupe1
New Contributor III

I have created a map for use in Collector (Android), and have shared it appropriately. I am able to open/view/edit the map on the Collector app on my tablet (Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F, Android v4.4.4), but when I open the same map on my phone (Moto g6 Play, Android v8), I can't see my layer. In my map list, the thumbnail preview shows the layer, but when I tap on the map, it loads, navigates to the extent, but my layer doesn't show. When I go to the layers screen, it lists the layer, the check box is unchecked, and I can't check it. The layer is hosted on an internal server, and the REST URL is the "lowest"--that is, it ends in \0 (as another forum suggested). I've deleted and uploaded the layer again but to no avail.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AnninaRupe1
New Contributor III

Thanks for the follow-up. I checked and I was on two different networks (internal and guest). It shows now. Does this mean that I won't be able to access this layer unless I'm on our network?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Hi Annina,

Thank you for sharing this information

Because the service is hosted on an internal network, are both the phone and tablet connected to the same internal Wi-Fi network? 

Thank you

-Kevin

0 Kudos
AnninaRupe1
New Contributor III

Thanks for the follow-up. I checked and I was on two different networks (internal and guest). It shows now. Does this mean that I won't be able to access this layer unless I'm on our network?

0 Kudos
KevinBurke
Esri Contributor

Hi Annina,

Yes that is correct, because the server resides behind your firewall and is therefore only accessible on your internal network.

Although I am familiar with configuring and administering ArcGIS Server, it is not my area of expertise. However with that being said, there are ways to configure ArcGIS Server to be accessible outside of the firewall through the use of the Web Adaptor. I would recommend researching how to access your services outside of your internal network.

You might already have the Web Adaptor installed and this might just be a matter of which URL you're using when adding the layer to a web map. The URL should be from the Web Adaptor, which if using Windows will use IIS through port 80 or 443, and not one that points to internal ports like 6080 or 6443 depending on if the services are secured or not. 

Here are some links to help get you started:

https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/server/latest/administer/windows/firewalls-and-arcgis-server.htm

https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/server/latest/install/windows/about-the-arcgis-web-adaptor.htm

https://community.esri.com/thread/190863-can-not-access-my-arcgis-server-externally

Thanks

-Kevin

0 Kudos
AnninaRupe1
New Contributor III

Thanks for your help, Kevin. I may just be missing something in my REST URL, as we do use a Web Adapter and I have removed the 6443 as suggested. I do know some things have been changing internally, so there is probably something there I didn't know changed. 

0 Kudos