Collector Crashes when Accessing Camera to Take Picture

08-15-2019 11:13 AM
SFM_WillBrewer
New Contributor III

The current version of Collector for Android will crash when the user accesses the device's camera to take a picture. The crash only happens when the camera is accessed from an offline maps, online works fine.  Pictures can be added from the photo library without incident, and other camera apps like "Open Camera" work fine when downloaded to the device. We are using brand new Samsung S4 Galaxy tablets. The issue only lies with the native camera app on the device.

14 Replies
IanKilpatrick
New Contributor

I'm having the same problem with a Samsung Tab Active 2 running Android 9, except it is happening on both offline and online modes.

MichaelBaker
New Contributor

I'm in the same predicament described above. Our productivity has ground to a halt. Can't switch to the beta version since it does not support offline maps in its current version. Any word on the Android parity release of Collector or yet another famous ESRI workaround?

ChuckPowell
New Contributor II

We are having the same problem but we have switched to the beta version. You can use offline as long as you set up the webmap in AGOL (not sure in Portal) under  Settings- Offline  - Map areas.

0 Kudos
LarryWiebe
Occasional Contributor

I don't get the attachment icon at all when using an offline map.  If I remove the offline map, and open it online the attachments work fine.  I am on a Samsung Galaxy Tab Active2 SM-T397U running Android 8.1.0

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

We are starting to get a lot of reports on this crash on a Tab Active 2 as well.  Seems like the last update maybe.  

0 Kudos
LucyElliff
New Contributor II

Has anyone found the cause and/or work around? We are using the Tab Active 2 with Android 9, intermittently crashing the map when trying to attach photos from camera. Restarting the device helps for a short period but not a practical solution for our fieldworkers! Thanks

0 Kudos
SFM_WillBrewer
New Contributor III

We have found a solution to the problem of Android Collector not working on new Samsung Galaxy Tab S4. You may read and try the guide below:

Z__NahideAydin1
New Contributor III

It looks like Open Camera works,   but I  was able to take only 1 photo per point. When I do 2 photos it crashes again

0 Kudos
LucyElliff
New Contributor II

It seems to be more stable if I select 'just once' rather than 'always' for the camera app (camera mx) I have installed, although I haven't tried to attach multiple photos yet, not ideal but a work round now. I'd be interested to hear which Android software people having this problem are using, ours are Android 9 (One UI) updated from Android 7. Software update is due for release on this device in October so fingers crossed!

0 Kudos