Collector App Error

02-07-2018 12:09 PM
JodyStroud1
New Contributor II

I am attempting to edit a polyline feature class (add new lines) in the Collector app.  When I submit the new entry I receive the following error:  "Update Failed:  Internal error during object insert".  What may cause this error?  Any assistance in leading me in the right direction to correct this issue would be greatly appreciated.

8 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Jody,

Can you make edits to the same feature class in ArcGIS Online? Once you create the line in ArcGIS Online, you may need to save the edits and refresh the web map to see if the edit persisted. I assume you have ArcGIS Server services if you encounter this error, is that correct? If so, please look at the below options:

-I would also check to see if ArcGIS Server permissions are enabled on the C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Server. Check if the account running ArcGIS Server (you will look at the "Log on as" property) by running services.msc on the machine ArcGIS Server is installed on. Once you confirm the account, make sure the user has full read/write permissions on that folder.

- Check to see if the arcgis server account has proper permissions in the ArcMap privileges for the data you used to publish to ArcGIS Server - Privileges for geodatabases in SQL Server—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

JodyStroud1
New Contributor II

Dan,

Thank you for your reply. We check everything referred to below and we have full read/write permissions on the server folder, as well as, the proper permissions in the ArcMap privileges for the data published. We are still unable to edit the data in the webmap within the ArcGIS online.

Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Are you familiar with a program called Fiddler? You can download that on your machine and it will decrypt the web traffic being sent from your machine. You can also run developer tools on your browser. What I am curious to see is if there is an error that is return when a request is made with this URL:

https://[servermachine.domain.com]/[webadaptor]/rest/services/[ServiceName]/FeatureServer/applyEdits 

It looks like more troubleshooting may need to be done that is a little hard to process over a forum. This may require you to contact us at Esri Support

0 Kudos
TinaMorgan1
Occasional Contributor II

I see this issue occurs in both Collector AND web maps in AGOL.  Where is the data sourced from?  Is it a hosted feature service, or is it in an enterprise geodatabase registered with Server, etc.?

Can you add the data from that source database to ArcMap, and edit?  If you CAN edit the source data in ArcMap, then it makes me think it is the feature service...

Is it only inserts that cause this issue?  Can you update or delete existing features?  

Does this feature service have all the necessary capabilities, i.e., Create,update, delete.

Are geometry updates allowed on this feature service?

0 Kudos
Lake_Worth_BeachAdmin
Occasional Contributor III

I am sysadmin on server and admin on AGOL, I get the same error when trying to edit an existing line feature in collector. I can edit it in AGOL but not collector.

edits = moving line vertices to new locations.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Joe - if you change the feature in AGOL, then reload the page, does the edit persist? I've seen edits show up, but reloading the page causes the edit to disappear. This is essentially the same issue as Collector, just manifesting itself in a different way.

0 Kudos
JodyStroud1
New Contributor II

It appears i found the issue on my end.  I went back and looked at the geodatabase privileges in SQL and found that the EXECUTE privilege was not selected.  Upon selecting it, and refreshing database, I was able to edit in ArcGIS Online and Collector.  Thank you for your assistance.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Jody,

That is good to know! Go ahead and mark your question as answered.

0 Kudos