Collector and AGOL Token

03-01-2013 09:07 PM
JoseSousa
Esri Contributor
Hi,

So Collector will be further improved and include a login for authenticating against ArcGIS Online/Portal. These are good news.

I need to know whether Esri is going to continue supporting opening the Collector through an URL(e.g. arcgis-collect://www.arcgis.com/sharing/rest/content/items/f85ea11bd55d453b843ea2f66ad1ef94/data) as happens today. If that is the case will Esri support passing a token within the URL? Example:
arcgis-collect://www.arcgis.com/sharing/rest/content/items/f85ea11bd55d453b843ea2f66ad1ef94/data?token=mytoken

Because I have a front page that displays a list of web apps each referencing Collector using a different web map id. Problem is that the page already authenticates against ArcGIS Online to get the appropriate web maps so when users open the Collector shouldn't be asked for the credentials. How will this work in the new version? Since it contains the login I need to pass the token within the URL so that you can retrieve it and check that I have already a valid token.

Thanks,
Jose
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JoseSousa
Esri Contributor
I am extremely disappointed that after having pointed out for the need of passing the token when open the Collector in the new release it hasn't been supported. Not just this does not work properly as I can't even log off from the app. One of the worst apps I have ever seen.

After having convinced clients to adhere to Collector and AGOL (even Portal for AGS) for being able of having a front page where they could click and have any user accessing the application without being prompted for credentials I can see that all this effort was ruined by your latest release.

I guess it is too much to ask for having Esri to provide any sort of minimum roadmap for the apps. You guys don't have any respect for any developer at all that is actually trying to use your solutions.

Very disappointed,
Jose
0 Kudos
PaulBarker
Esri Contributor
Jose,

Can you send an email to arcgis4android@esri.com and I can follow-up with your concerns and get more details on your workflow.
0 Kudos