Can Collector capture points related to a polygon

10-16-2017 10:55 PM
VishApte
Esri Contributor

We are working a project for a wine company that owns hundreds of vineyards. They want to collect vineyard assessments as points, recording inspection about diseases, grape growth etc. A big vineyard can have multiple assessment points all over its area. We created feature service with "vineyard" as a polygon feature class and "assessment points" as point feature class with "vineyard" as a parent.

As a user of Collector, I want to select a vineyard polygon and then choose to add related assessment point and provide geometry and other attributes for the point. However, it doesn't seem to be possible. I can only capture related table record but not related feature class. Is there any way to achieve this in collector. We cannot expect collector to manually entry related vineyard's primary key when collecting assessments.

One option is to configure a pop-up on Vineyard map and launch another Collector map using URL with parent key pre-populated. Is there any better way?

Cheers,

Vish

0 Kudos
7 Replies
zkovacs
Occasional Contributor III

Collector can't handle related geometries you could set up in Pro or ArcMap, it can only handle related tables. A workaround could be some post-processing after the survey is done, so you can connect/join the points to the correct polygon (and/or transfer the required properties). I hope this helps.

0 Kudos
DougMorgenthaler
Esri Regular Contributor

Actually Zoltan is incorrect here - Collector does support feature to feature relationships as well as to non-spatial tables. 

In your example, if you have 1:1 or 1:M relationship classes between your vineyard polygons and the related assessment point feature class, you can navigate from your parent vineyard feature to create new child assessment point features. This works just like a related table, but you'll need to define both the attributes as well as the geometry for your new feature during the collection of the new records.  The foreign key will be populated with the vineyard polygon's primary key value.

VishApte
Esri Contributor

Hi Doug,

Thanks for your reply. Can you please explain the workflow in Collector for "you can navigate from your parent vineyard feature to create new child assessment point features". I am using latest Collector for iOS.

I do have 1:M relationship from vineyard polygon to assessment points. In Collector, I selected the polygon but I cannot find command/menu to "create related feature" or "create assessment point". With Vineyard selected, I tried to add a point by clicking + sign and provided location and saved. However, I cannot see "VineyardID" populated on the assessment point. Do I need to set something in Web Map used for the Collector?

Thanks,

Vish

0 Kudos
DougMorgenthaler
Esri Regular Contributor

Vish-

You'll want to scroll down to the bottom of the selected vineyard, then you can see the assessment point listed below.  Tap on New to start creating a new related assessment point.  This will populate the foreign key with the vineyard ID.

VishApte
Esri Contributor

Thanks Doug,

Yes it did work the way you described. A bit embarrassed not noticing the option. 

Cheers,

Vish

0 Kudos
zkovacs
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks for correcting me Doug! I thought you could only have related tables in Collector, but it's good to know that you can have geometry as well.

0 Kudos
TiffanyRufo
Occasional Contributor II

Another option would be to use a system similar to the one I created for hydrant Flushing in the city. Combining Collector and Survey123.

You would have your Vineyard polygons and then in the pop-up for the vineyard have it link to a Survey123 survey that would pass the vineyard polygon Id number or name (some kind of unique identification) to the survey and allow you to relate the surveys back to the polygon that they were taken in either in desktop or in ArcOnline. 

I can find some documentation that I used if you are interested in this set up. It isn't too difficult.