write to object attributes, possible?

09-23-2014 04:58 AM
KennethLindhardt
Occasional Contributor

Hi All,

Is it possible to create new attributes for an object, and have them exported along with the file geodatabase?

That would be my first question, there will lead to another. If this is possible, could I den write object attributes on a scatter inside a polygon?

I got a square, and I have used the scatter function to create scatter points on the center of each line, and the total center of the polygon.

Rule -->         scatter(surface,1,gaussian,center,'0) { Shape }

scatter(surface,1,gaussian,right,'0) { Shape }

scatter(surface,1,gaussian,left,'0) { Shape }

scatter(surface,1,gaussian,front,'0) { Shape }

scatter(surface,1,gaussian,back,'0) { Shape }

I would like to split those five points, and assign an attribute with their orientation. Those points should all have attributes from the polygon like: Building ID, so I can merge the attribute table inside ArcMAP + a new attribute field e.g. “Orientation” with the values Right,left, center and so on. By now only one scatter point get’s the object attributes; I guess that is because they are collected as one, and I’m not able to split, or assign new object attributes.

So what I would like to try out with this is, to create a buffer around the points, inside ArcMAP, and collect the MEAN Lidar height to each buffer, and then be able to read the roof height on each buffer, assign that back to the building footprint, so I will get a left, right, front, back and center height, those values I can use inside a cga rule to control the roof geometry.

Any ideas?   

0 Kudos
2 Replies
KennethLindhardt
Occasional Contributor

Think if figured out a workaround.

If I copy my building polygones to 5 layers and assign the different scatter rules to each, 1 left, 1 right, 1 back etc. Then I can call the layer left, right etc. Then export all the point layers, that should bring up 5 layers in ArcMAP, that I could assign Raster heights to, and merge to a left, right etc. attribute in the building footprint. A long way around, but it’s going to be awesome!

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

That's good you found a work-around. Just for future reference, you cannot assign object attributes to different individual shapes generated within a model. But if you wanted to change object attributes on the input shape for a model, you can use the report() CGA function to report the new values, and then use python scripted export in CE to write the new values onto the shapes.

Chris

0 Kudos