KML parsing errors CityEngine 2014

2862
4
Jump to solution
08-18-2014 07:45 AM
DennisSherman1
New Contributor II

Good day,

I am currently using CityEngine 2014, attempting to import a .kmz file, and experiencing the same 'KML schema validation failed' and 'mesh creation failed: PRTX mesh violation: mesh must contain one face at least' warnings under the log. Specifically, the model imports without any of the textures for building facades and roofs. I have made numerous alterations to the texture paths in the .dae and .kml file (the textures are referenced in both, and this displays correctly on google maps/Earth).

I am posting a web-link to the kmz file open in Google Earth:

Keele Campus

And a second link to download the .kmz file:

http://icampus.apps01.yorku.ca/all/keeleall.kmz

I have changed the .kmz file layout to ensure the texture paths in the .dae file and the .kml file match the location of the textures. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dennis

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MatthiasSpecht
New Contributor II

Hi Dennis,

I had a look at the kmz file and noticed two problems:

1) the textures are in the wrong folder (inside the kmz) and can therefore not be found

2) the materials have "inverse opacity" and are therefore transparent in CityEngine.

1) can be fixed: there should be an "images" folder besides files or the references to the textures need to be eixed in the dae files, e.g. AutoSave_AutoSave_YorkuModel_ravi.dae contains the reference

...

<init_from>../images/texture0.jpg</init_from>

...

    which does not exist in the km (it's loacted in the same folder as the dae).

2) is a common issue with Sketchup models and was addressed for the next CityEngine release (which will be out soon). It can not be fixed within CityEngine 2014.0, but the upcoming CityEngine 2014.1 will have new material controls for static models which allow for overriding the transparency settings.

I hope that helps.

Greetings

Matthias

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MatthiasSpecht
New Contributor II

Hi Dennis,

I had a look at the kmz file and noticed two problems:

1) the textures are in the wrong folder (inside the kmz) and can therefore not be found

2) the materials have "inverse opacity" and are therefore transparent in CityEngine.

1) can be fixed: there should be an "images" folder besides files or the references to the textures need to be eixed in the dae files, e.g. AutoSave_AutoSave_YorkuModel_ravi.dae contains the reference

...

<init_from>../images/texture0.jpg</init_from>

...

    which does not exist in the km (it's loacted in the same folder as the dae).

2) is a common issue with Sketchup models and was addressed for the next CityEngine release (which will be out soon). It can not be fixed within CityEngine 2014.0, but the upcoming CityEngine 2014.1 will have new material controls for static models which allow for overriding the transparency settings.

I hope that helps.

Greetings

Matthias

0 Kudos
DennisSherman1
New Contributor II

Thanks Matthias,

I believe you are correct about point 2. I had set the texture path's

correctly on my personal computer, and this resulted in them being textured

transparently, as the "wireframe" setting shows the outline of the model. I

appreciate that these features will be included in the upcoming version of

CityEngine, but I am in need of this ability now. Do you know when the

upcoming version will be released?

Dennis

0 Kudos
PascalMueller
New Contributor III

Hi Dennis

Unfortunately, we cannot comment on release dates.

To solve your problem now, I would fix the dae file in the KML. Simplest solution might be via a text editor looking for the transparency parameters and changing them.

Best

Pascal

0 Kudos
DennisSherman1
New Contributor II

Good day,

Unfortunately the fix has not been included in 2014.1. What has worked, to an extent, is removing all the transparent and transparency tags from the .dae model. Unfortunately, the textures to do no map properly once they are displayed. Although the individual models in the .kmz file above now have the ability to switch between "keep original" "semi transparent" and "opaque" for the Material_Transparency setting, none of them remedy the issue.

Dennis

0 Kudos