Web Scene -Texture Problem

11-13-2012 08:57 AM
LukeCzar
New Contributor III
Hi, I have a question, when I work in City Engine the textures work fine, when I export scene to Web Scene, the textures from one building are all over other buildings, sometimes I have to reload page, because one of the walls disappears. If you can help me find out why is it happening? The Models are from Sketchup in DAE format, couple of the first models were fine, when there is more everything starts to disappear or change the textures[ATTACH=CONFIG]19259[/ATTACH] from other buildings.

Thanks!!!!!
Tags (2)
6 Replies
JoanneO_Brien
Occasional Contributor
I seem to be having this same issue, when I export my models to the Web Scene, the obj and DAE files are missing parts. The screenshot shows some steps which were imported into my rule file as an obj from sketchup, they look perfectly fine in CE, and even when I export them to Arc Scene they come up fine but on the Web Scene they are missing parts.
0 Kudos
LukeCzar
New Contributor III
You should check "Normals" by clicking on shape, if all the walls are "bright" and there is one that is "dark" - click on that wall with right button and Reverse Normals, If you use obj or dae, you should change it to shape first, it might help, the problem that I had was, sometimes walls were on and sometimes off. If you always have problem with missing some parts of the model its probably "Normals" issue.
0 Kudos
ScottFujikawa
New Contributor III
Hi,
I'm experiencing the same phenomenon when exporting kmz or obj models to the web scene. (see my post in "Import/Export Forum: http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/70996-Photo-textures-mis-matched-when-export-to-web-scene?). I'm thinking its because many of the texture files that are mapping the different models have the same name (texture01, texture02, etc). I hope there is a work around for this. I also experienced missing polygons in the Web Scene and its usually because of the reversed faces that Lukaszczar mentioned. Matthias advised that if you toggle the "L" key while you're viewing the shapes in CE, the faces that are reversed appear black then you can go  select them & reverse their faces.
0 Kudos
LukeCzar
New Contributor III
You are right, the textures are missing or mixed from other models because of the same name. I created new "Models" folder and changed ALL the texture's names ( to do that you have to go to Sketchup click on the model, explode, and than in attributes ---> In Model, so you can see textures and there you can check your names- its a lot to do. Everything works well,  besides the terrain is too large, there is too many textured models- and Firefox crashes every time. Its only 60Mb, I don't know if there is any sense to continue...
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi ..

Just a quick input on the terrain :

- note the U and V Subdivision in the terrain layer attributes in the Inspector ( select the terrain ). If the subdivision is too dense and too much geometry is produced, just tone those values down reasonably. Especially if the terrain is almost flat.

- in the export settings, in the 'Optimization' tab, there's a setting called 'Simplify Terrain Meshes'. If this option is enabled, the export will take quite a bit longer than if disabled. What this option does is take the terrain and simplify it's geometry using an edge-collapse algorithm, with much less resulting polygons. That computation takes quite long.

--> Play with the UV Subdivisions and the Terrain simplification to optimize the terrain's share in the WebGL scene.
0 Kudos
LukeCzar
New Contributor III
Thanks Matthias!!

It is much better, but I discovered that everything works well until I export sidewalks and streets (without rules, with rules CE crash each time) so I think I am having a lot of problems with streets and sidewalks, I also changed them into shapes- still doesn't wok, any ideas how to approach this problem? (this Thread shouldn't be here, I will start a new one)
0 Kudos