texture alignment?

05-18-2015 01:22 PM
MicahTaylor
Occasional Contributor III

Ok. I have used the texture shapes tool to add bricks to a building that has windows as a separate face with a window texture.

However the top, sides, and bottom of the wall stretch and distort the texture while the center looks perfect (see image).  How can I fix this?

I have not created a model from this shape yet so I dont have the rule file that allows me to manipulate the alignment.  Im limited to the options in the texturize shape dialogue box. Any help would be appreciated.Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

At this point you might try making a rule, and perform the texturing from the rule. This will take some time to learn CGA, but then each building you create could use the same texturing code to give different textures to different buildings.

0 Kudos
MicahTaylor

Thanks!

Right.  I do use a building rule that extrudes footprints and adds the window objects, however, this particular building I wanted to get really detailed (its hard to get all the cut-up geometry from the roof and small overhangs with a rule file for they are placed very odd and I doubt I would use that rule for any building but this one).

Is there a rule file that will just let me add and adjust textures and dirtmaps?..but not change the geometry of the shape itself?

0 Kudos
MicahTaylor

Ultimately I would like to just have this building as its own static model....like an obj or multipatch.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've not heard of a rule like you describe, but I could be wrong. I guess you would keep trying to model the way you have been. Maybe try drawing it in pieces, texture them, and then add them together?

MicahTaylor

Ok I got it.

If I texture the wall first, and then add the window shapes, and texture them separately...it works.

One more question on this....

If I export this completed shape with textures as an obj or collada...the model looks fine, but it does not line up with its geographic location in a new scene when I drag and drop.

However, the building does line up correctly with a GDB drag and drop.

Is there a way in CityEngine to georeference the obj or collada files?

0 Kudos