Shapes not generating

05-29-2013 08:52 PM
JoanneO_Brien
Occasional Contributor
I've just created a new scene, and imported a geodatabase containing all the layers I'm interested in. I've then imported an obj model from sketchup no worries. But when I try to assign a rule to one of my building footprints it seems to assign, but nothing appears when I generate it. I've checked all the usual stuff such as the show/hide shapes and models etc but none of that seems to be affecting it. I successfully use this same rulefile on the same parcel in other scene's (and checked that they're still working). I also tried to create a whole new scene to see if there was a bug in my scene but to no avail...any suggestions please?

Secondly I tried to export the same model from above from a different scene as an obj and import it into this scene, but once it's imported I can't seem to move it, it seems static. Is this normal?

On a different note I was wondering if there was a way to create a shape parcel between my roads but excluding my building footprints so that I don't have issues with two shapes on top of each other? Would be useful for creating gardens etc...

I've attached a picture which I hope will help you understand the scene I'm working with.
0 Kudos
11 Replies
JoanneO_Brien
Occasional Contributor
A bit of sleep managed to solve the first problem, my buildings I was trying to generate were created for landscapes with the terrain in but for this project I'm just using a flat landscape. So it seems that you can't use the same coding for both situations. I just wrote in a new start rule to by pass my yDim split which introduced a base level below the building (for terrain compensation) and now it works perfectly.

Wouldn't mind any thoughts or solutions on the other two issues I raised though 🙂
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
I'm glad your first problem only required sleep. That does do wonders.

Second problem of unmovable model - that's not normal. Were you able to select the model? Could you select but not move? When using the move tool, did the XYZ axis come up when selecting the object? (if you can select it)

Third question: You could use the generated parcel shapes in the blocks surrounded by your streets to place your garden texture. Or could just draw static shapes. You can have any number of shapes overlapping each other, which might look funny if you have shapes turned on, but otherwise without shapes showing, it will just depend on the models generated, and if they look okay sharing a location. If the garden is just a texture then that would work fine. If you have random trees generating, they might grow right into your house. Just depends on the models really.

Is the unmovable object still unmovable?

Chris
0 Kudos
JoanneO_Brien
Occasional Contributor
Hi Chris

Within the same scene I import obj's from Sketchup and they move around fine, but when I import obj's from another CE scene they remain static. I can select them but the XYZ axis does not appear and therefore no movability funcion. I'm wondering, could this be due to them being created in a scene with a co-ordinate system, and therefore the XYZ centre axis is very far away from the images? If so how can this be countered?

I'll have a play around with the parcels, hope it can work nicely. Thanks for that 🙂

Joanne
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
You are onto something with your theory about the importing from another scene. The lack of XYZ move tool handle usually indicates that part of your selection is far away and the handle is drawn outside of the viewport extents.  Try zooming out very far and see if you see it somewhere (or frame object when it is selected, or frame all). If it shows up, then next is to figure out what piece is far away and why. Let me know. Would be good to know if there is an issue with the OBJ importing between scenes.

Chris
0 Kudos
JoanneO_Brien
Occasional Contributor
So...after lots of zooming out until my scene was just a tiny spec, I found the move tool! So yes, it does seem to be an error with exporting obj's between scenes! Would be cool to have this fixed in the future 🙂

I just noticed another thing actually, I'd been working on a rule file and changing things in my scene, but I hadn't been saving the rule file each time I clicked generate. This all usually works fine except sometimes my shapes would all go out of proportion with crazy cone shapes coming off my city. When I selected all my models and clicked generate this would then disapear, but I was wondering why this kept on occuring, and I suspect now that it's related to modifying and generating rules without saving the files. So note to self, always save rule files before generating them to avoid getting strange shapes in the scene... 🙂
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Yes, I've also seen the cone shapes from time to time. I was never sure what might be producing the error. Do you think you can reproduce the problem consistently? (via the non-saved CGA rule situation you describe). Would be great to pinpoint the origin of the "crazy cones".

Chris
0 Kudos
JoanneO_Brien
Occasional Contributor
For some reason in the current scene I'm working on I've managed to reproduce this many times, although not intentionally...I'm not 100% sure whether it is caused by not saving cga's but it seems linked in some way, in that saving the cga seems to fix it. The other way for me to fix is is selecting and re-generating all the models. If it keeps happening again I'll play around with it and see if I can learn any more about the potential causes. 🙂
0 Kudos
JoanneO_Brien
Occasional Contributor
I was assigning a rule file to a parcel, changed the style and clicked generate, and it produced the first two images.

It was supposed to produce the third image (which was only generated after selecting all objects and clicking generate.

It seems to occur intermittently when I select two or more small parcels and assign a rule file to them at the same time and then generate, and was occuring very regurlarly!
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi Joanne,

Were you able to break this down further ?

If you have a scene in which you can reproduce this issue systematically, let me know.

Kind greetings from Dubai !

Matt
0 Kudos