Interior walls design

01-12-2014 01:54 PM
tozlusandalye
New Contributor
I would likte to do a city engine project like in this web scene
http://www.arcgis.com/apps/CEWebViewer/viewer.html?3dWebScene=9c0e319bfaff4d33a0fe2da97c2c3fd7
Are there any tutorial video or documents or rule files etc. to create interior walls?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi,

This project was made based on attributed 2D GIS data.

Means all Interior walls were stored as separate polygons. Then, a rule was written that translates the polygons first up to the according floor height, then extrudes by the wall height.

Makes sense so far ?

Now, it depends a bit on what type of data you have or whether you want go generate entire interiors procedurally (not based on GIS polygon data).

Let me know ..

matt
0 Kudos
vassokosti
New Contributor
Hello!

I would also like to create a project which represents the inside of a building. But i'd like a little help cause tutorial
confuses me a bit.

You are saying that this was created based on attributed 2D GIS data. In other words a file was created with
the floor plan digitised in ArcGIS and an attribute table for each polygon?
And then this was inserted in CityEngine as the lot which is going to be extruded afterwards?

Or the lot each self was digitised, inserted in CityEngine and extruded with the Facades.cga
Then Interior walls digitised in ARcgis and with the attribute table, were inserted in CityEngine and extruded with  the BuildingsUse.cga?

I am really confused because i dont know where to start from. :confused:
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
It's the first case you described.

Each wall or door is a digitized, attributed shape which in CityEngine gets just 1 'extrusion' rule that works based on the attributes. E.g. if you have a floor polygon, it won'd be extruded, while a wall polygon is extruded to the roomHeight attribute.

Makes sense ? 🙂

matt
0 Kudos
vassokosti
New Contributor
It's the first case you described.

Each wall or door is a digitized, attributed shape which in CityEngine gets just 1 'extrusion' rule that works based on the attributes. E.g. if you have a floor polygon, it won'd be extruded, while a wall polygon is extruded to the roomHeight attribute.

Makes sense ? 🙂

matt

Of course 🙂 and thank you for your instant answer!
But what about the attributes? They must be inserted with the .shp file somehow? What was the organization which was followed for them? Because i don't know if they will be lost or if they are recognised automatically from CE?

These: STRUCTURETYPE, SPACETYPE, SHORTNAME, BASEELEV which are shown in Buildingsuse.cga like this:
// Set default feature attribute values
attr STRUCTURETYPE  = "unknown"
attr SPACETYPE   = "unknown"
attr SHORTNAME   = "unknown"
attr BASEELEV  = 0

and are shown also in "Object Attributes" in Inspector with much more information (e.g. BUILDING) are these attributes which must
necessarily be included in the attribute table of each polygon in ArcGIS?

Dear Matthias thank you in advance for your helpful advice! 🙂
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi,

CityEngine ports all attributes that are defined on a feature, but you don't necessarily need to work with these in CityEngine.

I'm not sure if you've seen the tutorial videos yet ( find them in my signature ).

Please refer to Gert's detailed GIS tutorial here (6 parts, dowload all parts at once because 1 part contains the data) :
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/communities/city-engine/01w90000000r000000.htm#s=0&n=30&d=1&md=cte-ce...

Or also use the Redlands Training materials found here:
http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=ebbdb2fd0403493caac729a20d126166

Ok ?

Matt
0 Kudos
vassokosti
New Contributor
I have read all of the fifteen tutorials.. but i have a few misunderstandings..

I am going to study the two training materials that you just advised me to see!

Thank you again for your help!
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Ok, no problem.

Let me know what question remain ! 🙂

matt
0 Kudos
vassokosti
New Contributor
Hello!

I need your help because there is one more question for now.

I am creating the interior of a building. My first question is about stairs. I see that there is an attribute defined called "BASEELEV" and this changes a bit for every step of the stair. I did the same for my stairs but it didn't work.
How can I give to my stairs the different height, so when I import the shapefile to be in the exact place?
I suppose that the same procedure, that I do not know, must be followed for the creation of the second, third, etc floor, doen't it?
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
hi,

are you using a translation in your code ?

e.g.
attr BASEELEVATION = 0

attr STEPHEIGHT = 0.16

Step -->
    alignScopeToAxes(y)
    t(0,BASEELEVATION,0)
    extrude(world.y, STEPHEIGHT)
    t(0,'-1,0)
    Step.

?
0 Kudos