Import Road Graph from Maya 2011

08-27-2012 10:28 PM
JensJebens
New Contributor
Hi,

First timer, so please excuse my ignorance !

I was wondering if it's possible to use dxf's exported from Maya 2011 with CityEngine and if so, which curve types I should use within Maya.

Thank you,

Jens
0 Kudos
6 Replies
JensJebens
New Contributor
Oops, I just noticed that I posted this in the wrong forum (should have been in the import / export forum). Can an admin please move the post ?

Thanks !
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi Jens !

I move the thread.

You can use dxf to bring the street network over, make sure the data is actually curves and not polygons (for streets). There's only linear segments supported atm, so any true curves need be segmented into some linear curves. Though don't segment them too dense, this may cause issues. Rather, in CE, use the graph cleanup tool and then set the street curvature again in CityEngine.

ok ?
0 Kudos
JensJebens
New Contributor
I've tried all the various curve flavours that I can find in maya but none of them seems to come through, have you tested this somehow ? If you have, can you tell me the steps that you took and the maya version / platform ?

Thanks,

Jens
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
ah, I forgot Maya does no more have a default dxf exporter as it used to have years ago.

you have to somehow export the lines to the formats .dxf ( or .osm or .shp or .gdb)

but there's an other way I'd take :

if you are familiar with MEL coding in Maya, you can create a MEL script which takes all your street center lines and produces the Python code for the street re-construction inside CityEngine. once this is set up, it's real easy to use.

are you familiar with MEL scripting ?

let me know. I'm REAL short on time atm, but I could help you somehow.

matt
0 Kudos
JensJebens
New Contributor
Hi Matthias,

thanks for taking the time to answer 😉

There is a dxf exporter (via fbx), which is the one I've tried to no avail.

I might give the python idea a shot though, sounds like it should be reasonably easy to do.

Thanks !
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
I can code this, let me know if you run into road blocks. 🙂

have fun !

matt
0 Kudos