How to add TIN as layer to cityengine

03-13-2018 10:56 AM
IsaacBoates
New Contributor

I have created a TIN that I want to add to a CityEngine scene.  Can I just add this TIN directly? A problem that we had before was that we wanted a very high level of detail in a small region, but it is part of a much larger region.  So I created a TIN that has a much higher node density inside the region of interest than outside of it.  I would like to add this to the scene in CityEngine but it seems to only allow addition of a raster.  Is it possible to just add a TIN instead?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Luiz_AmadeuCoutinho
Occasional Contributor III

You have to convert your TIN to Raster

CityEngine needs a .tiff file to represent elevation .

Check here TIN To Raster—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
IsaacBoates
New Contributor

Is it possible to load more than one raster in the same scene? The problem is that the region of interest has extremely high spatial resolution, so much so that resampling the surrounding raster to its resolution results in a 60GB file.

0 Kudos
Luiz_AmadeuCoutinho
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Isaac

I never tried to import multiple rasters.

60gb is to much. Your webscene will not suport this.

Check here some information:

Help - Import Rasters

https://community.esri.com/groups/technical-support/blog/2016/04/19/preparing-data-for-cityengine 

https://community.esri.com/message/666385-city-engine-dem-as-terrain-aerial-imagery-as-texture?q=dem 

0 Kudos
CherylLau
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes, it is possible to have multiple terrain layers in a scene.  Layer -> New Map Layer -> Terrain -> select your height map and texture files.

It's a good idea to have one high res terrain layer just for the region of interest and a low res terrain layer for the surroundings.

To avoid z fighting between the terrain layers in the region of interest, you might want to lower the low res terrain by setting the offset to -10m or something like that.  Or, you can create a shape which is the size of the high res area, move the shape below the terrain, and then align the low res terrain to this shape so that the low res terrain is lower than the high res terrain in the area that they overlap.

0 Kudos