how do i rectify buildings so they can float on terrain instead of sinking?

08-19-2014 03:58 AM
johne
by
New Contributor III

when i put terrain on my scenes and align my models to it..they are sinking into the terrain and also the texture file is not displaying.

7 Replies
MatthiasBuehler
Occasional Contributor III

hi .. what type of buildings do you have ?

can you post a screenshot of what your workflow is ?

let me know ..

Matt

0 Kudos
johne
by
New Contributor III

after i analyzed the graph and changed the size of the DEM it worked. even so thank you

0 Kudos
RobertJenkins1
New Contributor III

In this same vein, How do I set my building "foundations" to follow the terrain. At the moment I have to set each building foundation's elevations so the building's are level.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

To get a foundation shape:

1. Run Align Shapes to Terrain command, and choose Project All, so that each vertex is on the terrain.

2. In your rule's start shape, put alignShapeToAxes(y) to make sure the scope (bounding box for the vertices) is aligned with y axis straight up.

3. At this point, the scope.sy attribute of the shape is the height of your foundation.

Oh, never mind, I just wrote a rule to demonstrate it:

version "2014.1"

# For use on non-flat building footprint,
# so project footprint to terrain using Align Shapes to Terrain (Project All option).

@Hidden
attr originalScopeY = 0

@StartRule
SlantedBuildingFootprint -->
  # Align scope to have y axis up.
  alignScopeToAxes(y)
  # Save this shape's height.
  set(originalScopeY, scope.sy)
  # Flatten footprint by scaling y to zero.
  s('1,0,'1)
  extrude(originalScopeY)
  color(1,0,0)
  # Make it transparent for demo purpose.
  set(material.opacity, 0.5)
  # At this point the top or bottom can be used for floors (basement and upper floors.

Picture of original slanted footprint, with foundation. This shape represents if you build a foundation shape that reaches the highest and lowest points where your shape hits the terrain. Is this what you are looking for?  -Chris

Capture.JPG

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

This ensures no part of your first floor "sinks" below the ground, but you might choose to lift the top face a bit to get the foundation to show at least a foot or so before starting your ground floor.

0 Kudos
RobertJenkins1
New Contributor III

I'm hoping that when I get some Lidar data I'll have a better terrain model with which to work!

0 Kudos
RobertJenkins1
New Contributor III

Thank you!

I'll start working with this momentarily.

0 Kudos