Graphics card timing out

10-22-2012 03:01 PM
JoanneO_Brien
Occasional Contributor
Hi

I'm getting a new issue today, concerning my graphic's card. I have a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 graphics card which has been basically fine until today. What I've been trying to do is assign different rule files and styles to each of my building parcels but after about four times it crashes and gives an OpenGL "lost connection" error. Note I wasn't generating any of the buildings and I'd removed my terrain layer after the first crash. Apparently this has to do with the imposed time limit being exceeded but their first solution was reducing the graphics workload. Since I'm not generating the buildings and don't have the terrain layer imported I don't understand why it's decided to not work now. I'm using a new city scene but it generates perfectly well in the old cityscene with the same models!

Any clues as to why this is happening and how I can fix it?

Thanks

Joanne
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hey Joanne !

First, I'd try to upgrade the graphics driver. Just search for your specific graphics card model on the nvidia homepage.

Secondly, if you still get crashes, search your harddrive for a file calles somewhat 'hs_err'. If you find one of those files which got created just in the minute of the crash, post it here. But try first to upgrade to the very latest driver.

Let me know ..

m.
0 Kudos
JoanneO_Brien
Occasional Contributor
Hi

1) I tried upgrading the graphics card but unfortunately that had no effect
2) I looked in the location where my computer stores the 'hs_err' files for CE but there hasn't been one created for this date.
3) I tried creating a whole new city scene but this issue always occurs at the same point, although now sometimes instead of shutting CE down it causes the Viewport to have a black scene, so I still can't work in it and have to restart CE. In my scene I've imported a shape file that I'd exported from another CE scene and I'm attempting to assign styles from a rule file I'd previously created. I did some testing and the rule files assign and generate perfectly fine with other shape files, so I suspect it has something to do with my imported shapefile from another CE scene. What part of the export/import process could cause this?

Thanks for your help!

Joanne
0 Kudos
JoanneO_Brien
Occasional Contributor
So I had thought the errors might be associated with the specific parcels but then I used a completely new set of parcels and started assigning the styles only to get it crashing again. Is there a specific limit to how many styles you can have with one rule file? This file has about 15 styles but after assigning about 5 of them it decides to have the error and crash again...
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi Joanne !

You should now have my mail address. Maybe you can send me a broken-down part of the project with the assets and textures which cause CE to crash if you generate a specific Lot.

Let me know if this is possible.

Matthias
0 Kudos
JoanneO_Brien
Occasional Contributor
I've sent you an email. Let me know if you need any other data 🙂
0 Kudos
NicoleMiller
New Contributor III
Please update this thread if you reach a solution because I am having similar problems/
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi !

The further discussion via mail was the following:

1] Update to the very latest graphics card driver.
2] Deactivate Shadows and Ambient Occlusion in the viewport settings menu since they slow down the rendering
3] The graphics card driver crashes if the viewportport takes longer than 1-2 seconds to render ( ~ 0.5 fps refresh rate ).

CE (and all other OpenGL-enabled applications at the same time) is crashed due to a timeout of the graphics card driver itself, so there's not really something we can do other than to try and prevent that the fps drops below 1fps.

Let me know if this makes sense ..

Matt
0 Kudos
NicoleMiller
New Contributor III
Yes, that made a lot of sense. I didn't realize that having such a bad framerate would be so troublesome. This information paired with the ATI post was most helpful, thank you very much!
0 Kudos
SantiagoRivera
New Contributor
Hi !

The further discussion via mail was the following:

1] Update to the very latest graphics card driver.
2] Deactivate Shadows and Ambient Occlusion in the viewport settings menu since they slow down the rendering
3] The graphics card driver crashes if the viewportport takes longer than 1-2 seconds to render ( ~ 0.5 fps refresh rate ).

CE (and all other OpenGL-enabled applications at the same time) is crashed due to a timeout of the graphics card driver itself, so there's not really something we can do other than to try and prevent that the fps drops below 1fps.

Let me know if this makes sense ..

Matt

Hi Matt,

I'm just new user and I'm testing CE's capabilities and workflow with a test 2012 version. I'm on lesson 4th of the tuts and I'm really surpised and motivated with the app. About graphic cards issues I was asking myself if there is some kind of incompatibilities with other high demand graphic card apps as maya, 3dsmax, photoshop, after effects, UDK, autocad or drafsight, or their own plugins. Often users have running at the same time several apps as those, everyone using its own card driver gestion and memory on parallel mode, one with OpenGL, other with Nitrous, other with DirectX and so on. Would be possible some issues related here be caused of running simultaneously apps as those?.

Thanks.
0 Kudos