Graphic Errors

08-02-2013 01:44 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: JohannesR

Hello,
i imported shp.-files to CE and I colored the Shapes using an simple Rule-File.
Now i want to project them to the DSM with the "Align Shapes to Terrain"-Function using Align function=Project All.
You can see the results in the attachment. The problem is that there are graphic errors in the colored areas. If i move the model these errors move, too.
Do anybody has an solution for this problem?
Thank you.
Johannes
0 Kudos
7 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: matthiasbuehler

1]
align Terrain back to Shapes
2]
hide Shapes (toggle F11 key) for checking correctness of Models. Shapes do not need to be shown since the results are the Models.

ok ?

m.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello,
thank you for reply and your solution, but i have the same problem again.
At the attachment you can see that there are gaps, too.
Additionally my facade photos disappear when i press F11 to hide Shapes.
regards
Johannes
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
1]
Just for some more understanding : 1st post here :
http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/76669-Shapes-VS.-Models-VS.-MultiPatch

--> if buildings with textures are disappearing, they've not been converted to models. [Use a simple rule to do that.]

2]
I need more details on the gaps. Not sure what you mean ..

m.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

ok, now the buildings are converted to models.

i talk about the gaps, which are marked red at the picture in the attachments.
At this places there is an CE-Terrain (Orthophoto and Digital Surface Model).
On the top the terrain there is an Polygon-Shape with a rule for the color.
To fit the Shapes to the Terrain i first used "Align Shapes to Terrain"-Function with Align function=Project All.
Then i used the "Align Terrain to Shapes"-Function to align Terrain back to Shapes.
The result you can see in the picture. For example the brown area is one Polygon-Feature and has many gaps.
I think this is a bug in CE or do you have a solution?
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: matthiasbuehler

Hi,

Those are not gaps or holes in the polygons. If you look closely you see that this is still the terrain peeking though the shapes/models, even though that you have aligned the terrain back to shapes.

This happens sometime when the terrain subdivision is relatively course in relation to the size of the shapes. The Terrains features are not yet really strong in CE.

What I'd recommend is :

1] Reset all Terrain layers
2] Align Shapes to Terrain
3] Align Terrain to Shapes
4] Align Shapes to Terrain with offset of 0.5 meters. This shifts the shapes a bit above the terrain.

Maybe play with the U and V Divisions of the terrain to optimize further.

ok ?

m.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: YvetteBevis

Hi,

I think I'm having a similar problem:

I'm currently working on a project where I'm modelling informal settlements in South Africa using CityEngine 2012. I've used procedural modelling to build the structures and the last thing I did was to apply colour to the models. The colour, however, is not displaying properly - instead of a solid colour it appears patchy and in some places it doesn't show at all. I've attached a screenshot of one of the objects (set of postboxes). The roof is supposed to be red and the bottom panel is supposed to be blue. I'm having the same problem when I apply a photograph (cropped using the facade wizard) as texture to the models.

I've made sure that they are in fact models and not shapes. I also have a very powerful graphics card so I don't think that that's the problem.

Any help would be appreciated!
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi Yvette,

I'm pretty sure you have duplicated shapes somewhere.

E.g.

A -->
    B.
    C.

Track your code down where you create such copies ..

Let me know if it's not clear how ..

Matt
0 Kudos