Problems with colour and texture displaying correctly

Jump to solution
08-21-2013 11:28 AM
YvetteBevis2
New Contributor
Dear All

I'm currently working on a project where I'm modelling informal settlements in South Africa using CityEngine. I've used procedural modelling to build the structures and the last thing I did was to apply colour to the models. The colour, however, is not displaying properly - instead of a solid colour it appears patchy and in some places it doesn't show at all. I've attached a screenshot of one of the objects (set of postboxes). The roof is supposed to be red and the bottom panel is supposed to be blue. I'm having the same problem when I apply a photograph (cropped using the facade wizard) as texture to the models.

Any help would be appreciated!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi Yvette,

I'm pretty sure the colors do not show correctly because you have duplicate geometries on top of each other.

Make sure in all your code you do not have this code structure :

A -->    B    C

Because B and C are duplicates of A, so they're on top of each other.

The exact same thing would be :

Shape -->
   extrude(10) A.
   extrude(10) B.

And so on.

Also, check the 'Inspect Model Mode' together with the 'Model Hierarchy' ( see tutorial 6 video ) to track this down easier.

Ok ?

Matt

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi Yvette,

I'm pretty sure the colors do not show correctly because you have duplicate geometries on top of each other.

Make sure in all your code you do not have this code structure :

A -->    B    C

Because B and C are duplicates of A, so they're on top of each other.

The exact same thing would be :

Shape -->
   extrude(10) A.
   extrude(10) B.

And so on.

Also, check the 'Inspect Model Mode' together with the 'Model Hierarchy' ( see tutorial 6 video ) to track this down easier.

Ok ?

Matt
0 Kudos
YvetteBevis2
New Contributor
Hi Matt,

That makes a lot of sense, thanks so much. I think I'm a bit haphazard with my procedural coding - still getting the hang of it!!

Sorry I posted the problem under the graphics problem thread as well -  I'm also getting used to using forums properly.

Yvette
0 Kudos
YvetteBevis2
New Contributor
Hi Matt,

You were right, I had a duplication in the rule where I split the building into the different facades.

Thanks so much

Yvette
0 Kudos