Get map data with higher imagery resolution

06-16-2021 03:13 AM
co1yzha
New Contributor

Dir Sir/Madam,

Is that possible to get a higher resolution imagery resolution.

Or to 'get map data' without manually select the region. Something like code up the regions or boxes beforehand, then generating the multiple the terrain automatically.

Many thanks,

Yang

0 Kudos
3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

You can replace the "getMapData" aerial with your own aerial image.  I covered how in a previous forum post, but it requires ArcGIS and some basic/intermediate knowledge of raster image processing, and your own high quality aerial image.  Also, I believe the aerial images are purposely not a high resolution to increase performance.  The aerials are treated like textures in CityEngine and not like raster pyramids in GIS from my understanding. 

If your end goal is unreal engine or unity, thanks to recent developments, you might be able to use the new GIS to game engine exporting tools, whereby your higher quality aerials and other GIS assets might be directly exported to the game engine. 

co1yzha
New Contributor

Hi Brian, thanks a lot for the help. I think I can get the aerial imagery and will dig it a little bit how to align them to the terrain elevation.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks, Brian for the feedback and more direct explanations why CE from its initial inception/the first release I could never understand why their landscape is purposely not a high resolution???. Just a flat/dried/frustrating-looking plane. I wish one day CE Team will reconsider and implement a direct As-built terrain with "drape" buildings on the maps in question.