Freeing up system memory?

04-30-2012 01:49 AM
jeffreymorris1
New Contributor II
My computer has 12GB of system memory and City Engine keeps on asking me to purge system memory when working with huge files. How do I free up system memory before running City Engine?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
20 Replies
jeffreymorris1
New Contributor II
In the lower-right corner of the program window, there are two readouts for amount of memory free. Are the left readout for video memory and the right readout for system memory? I think that I'm running low on video memory and not system memory. My project has about 100 image files showing bird's eye view of the city.
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi,

those two indicators show the 2 memory types CityEngine uses : Java memory (left) and Native memory (right). [ CityEngine is written using 2 programming languages : Java and C++ ]

Thus you're running out of Java memory.

The reason for this is that Java reserves a certain amount of memory for CityEngine and this memory can not be used for any other application. Due to this fact, the developers had to agree on this certain amount of memory which is okay for most users. Some users with big datasets may - as you - run into issues with this. But of course this amount can be set. (PM me to get instructions)

Though editing this amount has it's risks if the user's not perfectly aware of the steps taken.

To get an overview of how much the VRAM is used, check :
Help > About CityEngine > Installation Details > System Info > OpenGL
0 Kudos
DavidMoore1
New Contributor
I was having the same problems.  My Solution == check your JRE, if it's 32 bit and you run City Engine 64 bit then City Engine goes nuts.  There is a 64 bit JRE.  Otherwise switch to 32 bit City Engine and it'll run fine.  Yours Truly davidj88101
0 Kudos
JoanneO_Brien
Occasional Contributor
Hi Matt

I really need to free up some more JAVA memory form my CityEngine too as it can't handle my models etc. I'm running a 64bit version on a Windows 7 machine, could you let me know how?

Thanks

Joanne
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi !

In the CE application folder, you'll find a file called CityEngine.ini.

Open it with a text editor.

Change the line
-Xmx2048M

To e.g.
-Xmx4096M

Or a similar value ( does not have to be power of 2 ).
save, restart CE to take effect.

[This will change the left memory indicator.]

PLEASE SET THIS WITH CAUTION !!

Cheers !

matt
JoanneO_Brien
Occasional Contributor
Thanks for that, I'll be very cautious! 😉
0 Kudos
JenniferPollom
New Contributor
Hi,

those two indicators show the 2 memory types CityEngine uses : Java memory (left) and Native memory (right). [ CityEngine is written using 2 programming languages : Java and C++ ]

Thus you're running out of Java memory.

The reason for this is that Java reserves a certain amount of memory for CityEngine and this memory can not be used for any other application. Due to this fact, the developers had to agree on this certain amount of memory which is okay for most users. Some users with big datasets may - as you - run into issues with this. But of course this amount can be set. (PM me to get instructions)

Though editing this amount has it's risks if the user's not perfectly aware of the steps taken.

To get an overview of how much the VRAM is used, check :
Help > About CityEngine > Installation Details > System Info > OpenGL

Why would I only see one indicator for memory?  I just upgraded the RAM to 12 GB total, but the Free Memory indicator does not seem to be reflecting that increase in memory.
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
I'm pretty sure you only see 1 indicator because of the CityEngien window layout. Maybe try rescaling some windows or go to:

Window > Layout > Default.

Ther must be 2 indicators. :rolleyes:

Lemme know ..

Matt
0 Kudos
JenniferPollom
New Contributor
Thank you for your response.  I had tried re-sizing previously and have gone to Windows-->Layout-->Default.  The display still only shows one memory indicator (see attached image).
0 Kudos