Exporting in Kml - Textures are missing

02-15-2013 06:47 AM
amamalalalalal
New Contributor
Hi,

I have generated 16000 trees with procedural rules (thanks to matthias). I want to export my trees in kml but the textures are missing with the kmz or collada, obj. Is there a specific folder where we must place image or model in the folder's tree? Do i need to "convert models to shape"? For the moment, i have my shape in the folder "data" and my .obj are in the folder "assets" with the textures.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
9 Replies
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor
Amama,

I would say this is probably a limitation of KML that polygons cannot contain textures as fills.

Regards

Anthony
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi !

If you see the textures in the CE viewport when the trees are generated, then it's an export problem.

Maybe you altered some of the export settings.

If you'e in the export window, use the default export presets at the very top of the exporter window. Depending on the actual target application, there's sometimes presets defined.

Let me know ..

Matt

ps. in kml and kmz file, the textures are stored within the file..
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi !

If you see the textures in the CE viewport when the trees are generated, then it's an export problem.

Maybe you altered some of the export settings.

If you'e in the export window, use the default export presets at the very top of the exporter window. Depending on the actual target application, there's sometimes presets defined.

Let me know ..

Matt

ps. in kml and kmz file, the textures are stored within the file.
0 Kudos
amamalalalalal
New Contributor
Hi !

So after the export, to you have
1] the correct tree geometry with the unknown asset texture or
2] just cubes with the unknown asset texture ?

Let me know ..

m.
0 Kudos
amamalalalalal
New Contributor
[ATTACH=CONFIG]21898[/ATTACH]

This is an example, i have the correct geometry but no textures. Unknown asset is just for one point which has maybe wrong attribute but the texture "unknown asset" is correctly mapped.
I have tried to export in collada and obj and it does not export the textures.
Only the export on .3ds works with textures. I hope you understand the problem.

thanks
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi !

What assets are you using in the first place for the trees ? obj or dae ?

Can you maybe provide me with that tree asset ? ( Post it here or contact me via PM with your mail address ).

Lemme know ..

m.
0 Kudos
amamalalalalal
New Contributor
I have sent my models at Matthias and i post the answer, it might be helpful for other users.

Hi !

It works for me if I take the textures OUT of the folders and place them right next to the obj / mtl files. But you need to fix the texture paths in the mtl files too.

It works fine, we need to place textures at the same place ok.

Btw...
If you're using textures with an alpha channel, it makes no sense at all to use more than just 4 points for each polygon. I've seen the tree's 'outline' is traced as a polygon. I'd not recommend that.

I don't understand, i believe that it was better to have 3d model with low polygons because of the size of the file. My tree palm contains 4 polygons but many vertices, when i export from sketchup, polygons are not triangulated, is that right?
What do you advised for the representation of tree and for the export in other software in order to manage 15 000 trees : fbx, obj, collada, kml? What is the problem with alpha channel?

Concerning the height of the trees. Make sure you have CONSISTENT attribute data for all vegetation that you can map the same. Use metric values, float values. Not strings lik '2/5m'. The easier you have the attributes on the GIS side of things, the easier you have the code.

No problem it was just a test

Ok ?

Thank you so much, you are the master of cityengine

aurélien
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor

I don't understand, i believe that it was better to have 3d model with low polygons because of the size of the file. My tree palm contains 4 polygons but many vertices, when i export from sketchup, polygons are not triangulated, is that right?
What do you advised for the representation of tree and for the export in other software in order to manage 15 000 trees : fbx, obj, collada, kml? What is the problem with alpha channel?

Hi !

If you have an alpha channel which cuts out your tree, you don't need to additionally 'cut the tree out' with many vertices approximating the shape of the tree. That's redundant because the tree is already cut by the alpha. This tree should have exactly 2 polygons, with 4 vertices each.

Hope this makes sense .. (?)

Matt
0 Kudos
amamalalalalal
New Contributor
Nice, very good advice.

Thanks matt.

aurélien
0 Kudos