downloading tutorials and examples

Jump to solution
10-02-2012 01:56 PM
JoanneO_Brien
Occasional Contributor
I keep on running into issues when downloading the tutorials and examples into the new CityEngine 2012.1 Advanced. I'm downloading them through the help on CityEngine, and originally I tried to download them all at once, but ran into trouble there, after about four folders it would get stuck. Eventually managed to get all the tutorials downloaded but it's having a lot of trouble with the examples, especially with the Damaged City example which has caused an error quite a few times and still wont download.

I've also noticed that it takes about a minute for the download box to first appear when I click on it, is this normal?

On that note I also notice is takes a very long time for the new CityEngine to load up initially as well, is this also normal? Just want to check that it's not an issue with my computer since it's brand new with a solid state drive etc so technically should be fast!

Regards

Joanne
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
hi !

the time to start the download dialog is long indeed, and there's sadly no visual cue about it. but CityEngine must wait for the arcGIS online server to react and send all the data.

an other way to download the examples is directly as a zipped project from here (actually, it's the same place the stuff is coming from):
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/communities/city-engine/01w90000000r000000.htm

( the start time .. not sure what is causing this on your machine ... though, CityEngine uses now the official Esri licensing system which may take longer to start as related to the old system we used in 2011 )

let me know how it goes.

don't forget that each tutorial has also a video version with some additional knowledge. mostly they're spoken by me.. 🙂 sadly, I'm not native english speaking ..

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
hi !

the time to start the download dialog is long indeed, and there's sadly no visual cue about it. but CityEngine must wait for the arcGIS online server to react and send all the data.

an other way to download the examples is directly as a zipped project from here (actually, it's the same place the stuff is coming from):
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/communities/city-engine/01w90000000r000000.htm

( the start time .. not sure what is causing this on your machine ... though, CityEngine uses now the official Esri licensing system which may take longer to start as related to the old system we used in 2011 )

let me know how it goes.

don't forget that each tutorial has also a video version with some additional knowledge. mostly they're spoken by me.. 🙂 sadly, I'm not native english speaking ..
0 Kudos
JoanneO_Brien
Occasional Contributor
Hi

Thanks, managed to get all the tutorials etc in finally, good revision for the basic stuff and seeing the changes in the new version. The videos are excellent by the way! Yeah the slow login does seem to be due to the new way of verifying licences I think, just have to remember it will take a few minutes to start up now.

Regards

Joanne
0 Kudos
JasonBalmut
Occasional Contributor III
I'm having nearly identical issues - CityEngine takes 17 minutes to launch and the Examples download fails on the Damaged City (see screenshot).  I'll try to get them with the link in the previous post.
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi !

Can you try the following:

In the CityEngine.ini file which you find in the program's directory, add the following line in a text editor:
-Dagol

This should ignore any AGOL timeout and start CE immediately, though the AGOL features will be deactivated that way.

Let me know how this goes ..

Matt
0 Kudos
JoanneO_Brien
Occasional Contributor
In the CityEngine.ini file which you find in the program's directory, add the following line in a text editor:
-Dagol

Gosh that's brilliant, 10 minutes got reduced to 10 seconds when I did that, thanks a lot!!! 😄
0 Kudos
JoanneO_Brien
Occasional Contributor
Also @ Jesterjance :

That was the exact same error I was getting. It was worst for the damaged City example but I found if I tried to download multiple files it would crash frequently with that error, the only way around it was to download each file individually then it seemed to be alright, but was quite annoying as made it a lengthy process.
0 Kudos
JasonBalmut
Occasional Contributor III

This should ignore any AGOL timeout and start CE immediately, though the AGOL features will be deactivated that way.

Matt, does that mean I won't be able to export CityEngine scenes to ArcGIS Online if that line is added to the .ini file?  If so it's a workaround but will this issue be solved in a future patch?
0 Kudos
JoanneO_Brien
Occasional Contributor
Matt, does that mean I won't be able to export CityEngine scenes to ArcGIS Online if that line is added to the .ini file? If so it's a workaround but will this issue be solved in a future patch?

That's exactly what I wanted to ask, was thinking if we want to put stuff online do we need to go back into the file and remove the dagol line?
0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi !

You can manually upload the .3ws as an AGOL item.

check e.g.
Manual > Exporting Models > CityEngine Web Scenes.

Means:
- Export scene to .3ws
- Login to your AGOL account -> My Content
- + Add Item, browse to .3ws file
- upload, share

Ok ?

And yes, of course this is supposed to be fixed in future. 😮

Cheers !

m.
0 Kudos