Select to view content in your preferred language

Does CityEngine benefit from using 2 GPU Nvidia GEForce GTX 970 in SLI ?

12-17-2014 01:28 AM
IonutAlixandroae
Deactivated User

Hi,

I`m having trouble rendering a scene in CityEngine because of a large consumption on RAM and GPU. ( I`m having like 2000 polygons that I want to apply a rule to create random 9 types of 3D buildings created in Maya) and I want to know if another GPU Nvidia GEForce GTX 970 to be used in SLI and doubling RAM memory to 32 GB would be a solution? Does CE works,support,benefits with 2 GPUs on SLI?

Thanks,

Ionut

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
16 Replies
MatthiasBuehler
Deactivated User

Well,

Before buying new hardware, I'd strongly optimize what you are working with.

- Terrain Subdivisions

- Create streets with less segment precision and curb-subdivisions

- DON'T use the highLOD (there's not need to see all polys, right ?). // use smart texturing instead of geometric details!

70 million polygons for a GIS project is just way too much !

You'll be easily able to reduce that dataset to a third of the size ..

Ok ?

matt

Matthias Buehler

Head of 3D Technologies

twitter: @MattB3D

------------------------------------

Garsdale Design Limited

matthias.buehler@garsdaledesign.co.uk

www.garsdaledesign.co.uk

IonutAlixandroae
Deactivated User

HI Matt,

Well, I`ll have to ask you to , please,  how to create terrain subdivisions and to create streets with less segment precision and curb-subdivisions( I`m not sure I understand what this means...)

For the building detail I could replace geometries of doors, windows etc with textures but the final result of this product I think will be integration with LumenRT and a movie/animation of the scene....( so for this purpose I need high LOD buildings - I have some key-buildings for this town that I`ve done separately in Maya)

I only need to be able to export export the terrain, buildings and roads from CE to LumenRT and the rest will be done in Lumen...

I`m open for new suggestions

Thanks!!

Ionut

0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler
Deactivated User

As always, please consult the help first....

Terrain‌‌

Streets

Additionally, in CGA, did you delete e.g. all bottom faces of extruded shapes where you do not see the bottom polygon?

Before creating such a massive dataset, did you test if LumenRT can even process 10 or 20 million polygons?

Hope this gives some pointers ..

Matt

Matthias Buehler

Head of 3D Technologies

------------------------------------

Garsdale Design Limited

www.garsdaledesign.co.uk

IonutAlixandroae
Deactivated User

Regarding deleting the bottom faces in cga , I didn`t ( in the rule i didn`t mentioned the bottom face - so how could I delete it?)

And in Lumen, at the moment, I have a trial for LumenRT 2015 Geodesign and I only imported the terrain with texture and the streets...I will try also tomorrow for buildings import but the first step will be to export them, if possible...

Thank you very much !

0 Kudos
MatthiasBuehler
Deactivated User

again, manual:

Component Split Operation

Matthias Buehler

Head of 3D Technologies

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Garsdale Design Limited

+44 (0) 15396 20875

www.garsdaledesign.co.uk

DavidBurdick
Deactivated User

Hi Ionut,

Matt is right.  LumenRT (or any real time rendering system) will not handle 70 million polys  A typical large scene might be 15 - 20 million polys or less.  I've don a few scene with 50 million polys but it was slow. 

0 Kudos
zhongrenGu
New Contributor III

aha,agree

0 Kudos