Define side of window/door ?

05-13-2013 05:05 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: monrath.p

Hi!

I am working with CAD integration to make a floor plan. I would like to know that can CE define a side of window(Outside face or Inside face). For example I have a slide window that I slide to the right How to make sure that model that i generated the inside face of window will slide to the right.

For clearly understand. I will tell about the step that I am working.

1.I imported CAD to Arcmap and convert it to polygon
2.Define the type and attribute of each polygon. what is it floor,window, railing, door, stair etc.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]24266[/ATTACH]

3.I import it to CE and make a magic 2D floorplan become 3D floorplan
4.And now as the question Can CE define a side of window(Outside face or Inside face)?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]24267[/ATTACH]

For more information
I have 10 style of window and I can change by dynamic. For example pic
[ATTACH=CONFIG]24269[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]24270[/ATTACH]

: For the style of window. I made it from facade wizard to make a complex split rule file and remove coding for UV texture. After that I combined rule file together with simple window rule.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]24271[/ATTACH]

: But there is a problem If the shape of window polygon have a different axes. It won't work. I have to use alignscopetoGeometry operation to make it work again.

Regards
Monrath P.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MatthiasBuehler1
Frequent Contributor
Hi !

Rules created with the Facade Wizard are meant to work on 2D faces ( single polygons ), not extruded volumes. I see that your window objects are full (thin ) 3d volumes. This causes some issues of course.

What's inside or outside is defined by the 'normal' of the polygon. You can turn the normal to the other side by using the 'reverseNormals' operation.

But since ArcGIS does not really store topological information, bringing all that information over from ArcGIS can be a bit tricky.

Instead of bringing over a floor plan, I'd recommend to bring over 3d MultiPatches ( 1 polygon thick ), which represent 1 object, e.g. a wall, a window, ..

Then, assign a rule which constructs the geometry based on that 1 polygon and the rule.

Note that you can set the following 2 GIS attributes to automatically assign rule file and start rule.
ruleFile (string, e.g. "rules/wall.cga")
startRule (string, e.g. "Wall" )

That way, after the GDB import, you don't have to assign the rules any more.

You could even create an attribute for the normal reversing process.
e.g.
doReverse ( boolean, true / false)

then in the CGA code, use that GIS attribute.

In short : You're much better off to import vertical flat shapes instead of the floor plan.

Let me know if this all makes sense.

Matt
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: monrath.p

Hi! Matt

Thanks for your suggest. But the show must go on. So I decide to follow my step first.

this is my result!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]24349[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]24350[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]24351[/ATTACH]

for your reverseNormal Operation. I will try it.

for the next challenge is to model "Railing" here and texture
[ATTACH=CONFIG]24352[/ATTACH]

Thanks you very much and I will try your suggestion.
Monrath P.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: matthiasbuehler

looking good, man !

keep the images coming.

once you have a workflow which satisfies you, please create a tutorial, ok ?

we can put it here in a sticky thread.

kind greetings !

Matt
0 Kudos