Cityengine 3d model query

03-13-2018 01:45 PM
PrasunSaxena
New Contributor II

Hello everyone,

I am using CityEngine for building a model for my college campus. How can I add vegetation flower and people in my map?

Thanks for help

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ZorkoSostaric1
Esri Contributor

Hi Prasun

Have you tried scatter operation followed by insert of assets? That would be my first try.

0 Kudos
PrasunSaxena
New Contributor II

Hey Zorko,

I have not tried it. Can you tell me the process or any link that couuld be helpful. I have used sketchUp but there were some co-ordinate issue. So I am looking for different options.

Question: I have an already built scene of my college and I want to add people and vegetation to give it a real time feel. 

Thanks and Regards

0 Kudos
ZorkoSostaric1
Esri Contributor

I made a quick and dirty rule that is using people from Redlands Redevelopment example. The rule is like this

@StartRule
PlacePeople-->
 scatter(surface, 50, uniform) {Populate}

Populate-->
 i(fileRandom("/Example_Redlands_Redevelopment__2016_0/assets/3D_City_Design_Assets/People_by_lowpolygon3d_com/Person_*.obj"))
 r(0,rand(60,320),0)

and result is like below

Random people distribution

0 Kudos
PrasunSaxena
New Contributor II

Thankyou zorko,

As I am new to cityengine can you tell me what is the process for taking data from redland and populating it in my scene. Do I just have to write rule and drag and drop people from redland development or the process is something else?

Thankyou so much for your help

0 Kudos
ZorkoSostaric1
Esri Contributor

CityEngine is hard for newcomers. You should start with the tutorials to get familiar with basics. In this case here is what you would need to do.

• Download Redlands Redevelopment example from Help, Download Tutorials and Examples
  • Import some data or create new polygons
  • Create new rule and copy & paste my example
  • Select polygons
  • Assign your new rule
  • Click Generate

Once you get that going have a go with modifying the rule.

Good luck and also check these playlist

#1 CityEngine Essential Skills: Installing Esri CityEngine - YouTube 

0 Kudos
PrasunSaxena
New Contributor II

Thanks Zorko

0 Kudos
CherylLau
Esri Regular Contributor

ESRI.lib, which comes with CityEngine and can be found in the Navigator, has plant models and rules that insert them.  The Plant_Loader inserts a single plant, and you can set the species and size in the Inspector.  The Plant_Distributor scatters a bunch of plants over a surface.

0 Kudos