City Engine does not "read"multiple UVSet from Collada/DAE imported meshes

Jump to solution
11-01-2017 07:20 PM
AbeleGiandoso
Occasional Contributor

Hi all

When exported from Maya, a Collada/DAE file is able to keep any multiple UVSets generated in the software, while instead exporting a OBJ does not save this information. As proof of this, when re-importing a DAE file in Maya, it reads the multiple UV sets again (although it looses any custom name given to the set and calls them "map1, map2, map3, map4, map5".. and so on).

Problem is, and I guess I am doing something wrong, I can not get City Engine to "see" any of these UVsets a part from the basic 0 one used for the color texture.

As an example, I have exported from Maya a simple UVed cylinder that I will include below, that has 6 UVSets, all identical, and I am trying to run this rule below to have the color map and the texture map refer to the set 0 and 2 which will be tiled differently.

Right now the set 2 is not recognized as if it did not exist and the default set 0 is used in place of set 2. This behavior accordingly to the manual happens when City Engine does not sees any multiple UV set.

Is there something I am doing wrong in the export from Maya? The UV sets are there. Must they be named in a specific way to be seen by CityEngine? Maya seems not to remember the names given internally to the UVsets when exporting DAE. What can I do?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

const Cyl= "models/Primitives/Cylinder/Cylinder_02.dae"

Lot-->
   extrude (13)
InsertCyl

InsertCyl-->
   i (Cyl)
   CylTEX

CylTEX-->
 tileUV (0,1,1)
 texture ("builtin:uvtest.png")
 tileUV (1,'2,'1)
 tileUV (2,'2,'1)
 set( material.dirtmap, "builtin:uvtest.png")
 X

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
CherylLau
Esri Regular Contributor

Actually, the help doc is not updated with regards to supported file types for the i() operation.  FBX files are supported and can be used in the i() operation.  I just tried this, and it worked for the test model I found, but I'm not sure if the multiple UV sets also work.  Please let me know if you have problems with the multiple UV sets when inserting fbx files using i().  Thanks.  Sorry for the confusion.

View solution in original post

AbeleGiandoso
Occasional Contributor

It works! With FBX, Maya uvsets are correctly used! Thanks

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
CherylLau
Esri Regular Contributor

Sorry, multiple UV sets are not supported yet for Collada files.  However, multiple UV sets should be supported for FBX files.

0 Kudos
AbeleGiandoso
Occasional Contributor

Ok good to know!

So my next question is, does the "i" insert operation reads FBX files? Or only DAE or OBJ?

0 Kudos
CherylLau
Esri Regular Contributor

Good point.  I see how this is problematic.  No, sorry, the i() operation only works for OBJ and DAE files, not FBX.  See the section "Supported Asset Formats":

i Operation 

0 Kudos
CherylLau
Esri Regular Contributor

Actually, the help doc is not updated with regards to supported file types for the i() operation.  FBX files are supported and can be used in the i() operation.  I just tried this, and it worked for the test model I found, but I'm not sure if the multiple UV sets also work.  Please let me know if you have problems with the multiple UV sets when inserting fbx files using i().  Thanks.  Sorry for the confusion.

AbeleGiandoso
Occasional Contributor

It works! With FBX, Maya uvsets are correctly used! Thanks

0 Kudos