3D Model Warehouse to CityEngine (texture path lost)

12-20-2013 04:11 AM
MichaelWalton
New Contributor III
I am trying to import 3D models from the warehouse into CityEngine. Now, I opened these models in Sketchup where I can save it as any model file extension. I've tried several methods: .obj, .kmz., .dae, all do import into CE with the model facade/roof textures. The ..dae and .kmz imports with the textures in a separate folder; for .dae, I tried editing the ascii text in attempt to link the images path to the image file folder (folder located directly above in the directory). It did not work.

Urgent Help Please,
Happy Holidays

*I know CityEngine is a procedural modeling software and can construct its own models, but I need geospecific models only found in the warehouse.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
GucluSen
New Contributor II
I have tried these operation several times but textures didn't cover automatically.

You can export your model using Sketchup.
Sketchup create with the textures in a separate folder as you said.
You can set these images for your model manually.
0 Kudos
MichaelWalton
New Contributor III
I solved the problem. No need no texture manually.
What I did was import as .dae and when it was in my viewport on the terrain I looked at model's object attributes folder. I saw an option to change the asset file folder, so I changed the folder to the asset foldof the model as an .obj. I clicked generate model and a new .obj model had appeared with all textures. It was however extremely large, so I need to down-scale it.

Thanks,
Michael
0 Kudos
GucluSen
New Contributor II
I solved the problem. No need no texture manually.
What I did was import as .dae and when it was in my viewport on the terrain I looked at model's object attributes folder. I saw an option to change the asset file folder, so I changed the folder to the asset foldof the model as an .obj. I clicked generate model and a new .obj model had appeared with all textures. It was however extremely large, so I need to down-scale it.

Thanks,
Michael

Hi Michael,

I've downloaded a few 3D model from 3D Warehouse.
I have imported to ".dae" file as you said, and I've found selection of "Asset File" in "Object Attributes" panel of the imported model.
I can select 3 file type of this window as ".dae", ".obj" and ".kml"

I picked ".dae" and ".kml" files (I have these files, they came from downloaded file)
And then, Generate the model but there is no difference, there is no texture anyway.

I use this file:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]30110[/ATTACH]

I have several files like these but anyone is covered texture. Where Am I Wrong?

Thanks,
0 Kudos
MichaelWalton
New Contributor III
The file you sent me is .rar I tried to import it into CityEngine, it did not work. Send me the .dae file

Michael
0 Kudos
GucluSen
New Contributor II
Hi,

.kml, .dae and all texture images belongs to 3D model in this .rar file.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30139[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]30140[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos