Select to view content in your preferred language

Migration of Custom Data

Jump to solution
06-18-2023 06:00 PM
Labels (1)
JoshDryer2
New Contributor II

Hello,

I recently transitioned to the 2023 updated data for my Infographics and I now use the 2023 data while operating ArcGIS Business Analyst. It looks like my custom templates and data did not migrate to the 2023 page. Does anyone know how do do that? When I try to run a custom infographic containing my own uploaded data, it's blank and says the data isn't available. When I look at the place where my custom data is located, it isn't there. Any ideas?

Thank you for any help on this issue,

Josh

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
FasilTiru
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @JoshDryer2,

Sorry for the inconvenience but as discussed in this blog, the 2022 and 2023 vintages have some key differences in the underlying Census boundaries and content. 

Due to these geography differences when using 2023, your custom data lists are filtered out if they are configured as Standard geography layer as shown below:

FasilTiru_0-1687210736823.png

To confirm if your custom data lists are being filtered out in Esri 2023, go to Add Data > Custom Data setup > and review your My data list. Then you can toggle back to Esri 2022 to see your old list. If you see a difference in the list, that means your custom data are configured with standard geographies.

While in Esri 2023, any infographic templates that contain variables from the custom data configured with Esri 2022 geographies will show missing variables as you described above.

Please use this temporary workaround until we provide a better solution:

1. Switch to Esri 2022
  2. Open your custom data list and open the action menu next to it (3 dots)
  3. Click Change layer type > select Polygon layer > Next > Save FasilTiru_1-1687211856663.png
  4. Switch back to Esri 2023 and open your custom data list. Notice it will be visible now since it's not associated with any geography vintage now. 
  5. Open the action menu next to your custom data again. 
  6. Click Change layer type > select Standard geography layer and match the expected geography fields > Next > Save 
  7. Go to Build infographics > open your custom template and confirm the missing variables are updated. 

I hope this help!

Fasil T.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
FasilTiru
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @JoshDryer2,

Sorry for the inconvenience but as discussed in this blog, the 2022 and 2023 vintages have some key differences in the underlying Census boundaries and content. 

Due to these geography differences when using 2023, your custom data lists are filtered out if they are configured as Standard geography layer as shown below:

FasilTiru_0-1687210736823.png

To confirm if your custom data lists are being filtered out in Esri 2023, go to Add Data > Custom Data setup > and review your My data list. Then you can toggle back to Esri 2022 to see your old list. If you see a difference in the list, that means your custom data are configured with standard geographies.

While in Esri 2023, any infographic templates that contain variables from the custom data configured with Esri 2022 geographies will show missing variables as you described above.

Please use this temporary workaround until we provide a better solution:

1. Switch to Esri 2022
  2. Open your custom data list and open the action menu next to it (3 dots)
  3. Click Change layer type > select Polygon layer > Next > Save FasilTiru_1-1687211856663.png
  4. Switch back to Esri 2023 and open your custom data list. Notice it will be visible now since it's not associated with any geography vintage now. 
  5. Open the action menu next to your custom data again. 
  6. Click Change layer type > select Standard geography layer and match the expected geography fields > Next > Save 
  7. Go to Build infographics > open your custom template and confirm the missing variables are updated. 

I hope this help!

Fasil T.

0 Kudos
FasilTiru
Esri Regular Contributor

UPDATE: This issue has been fixed.

If your custom data is configured with the following geography levels, no additional action is required. Your custom data will be available in Esri 2022 and 2023 vintages as these geography boundaries have not changed.

• States
  • Counties
  • County Subdivisions
  • Core Based Statistical Areas (CBSAs)
  • Census Tracts
  • Block Groups

Please use the workaround outlined above if your custom data is configured with the following geographies that changed with the 2023 release:

• Census Places (Cities and Towns)
  • Congressional Districts
  • Direct Marketing Areas (DMAs)
  • ZIP Codes

Thanks,

Fasil T.

0 Kudos
JoshDryer2
New Contributor II

Hello Fasil,

I tried your solution, but just couldn't get the data to populate in my custom report. So I re-saved the custom data by running through the "custom data setup" process. It works now in the 2023 USA data source. Thank you for your help. I hope my additional info helps others.

Josh

0 Kudos