How to stop creating groups automatically?

Jump to solution
09-25-2018 12:56 PM
David-Semitekol
Occasional Contributor

When creating a project in the Business Analyst Web a new group is automatically created in ArcGIS Online, under the Groups section.  As an ArcGIS Online active user, and administrator, this is playing havoc on my organization.  Groups are literally getting lost in the fold!

Is there anyway to stop these groups from being automatically created?  Or, is there a way to segregate these groups and place them all under a larger group called Business Analyst?

I'm afraid to just start deleting these groups, unless there is no cause for alarm or loss of data.  In that case, I will gladly delete away.

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DonnaBuhr
Esri Contributor

Hi David,

Great feedback on creating projects and how your organization uses groups in ArcGIS Online.  With the current ArcGIS sharing mechanism, it is not possible to change how Business Analyst projects/groups are organized.  I understand your concerns, because I also like things “neat and tidy”.  I will certainly pass your comments and suggestion about better organization controls to others on our team for their review and consideration.  We are always working to improve Business Analyst and your valuable feedback is greatly appreciated by the Business Analyst team.

Thank you for your helpful comments and ideas; please keep them coming. 

Best regards,

Donna

View solution in original post

5 Replies
shan_sarkar
Occasional Contributor III

David,

Business Analyst content is directly accessible through projects and its Project Manager feature. However, the content is also available as Items within ArcGIS Online, this is as by design. You can access the content in your projects in ArcGIS Online and share it with other users in your organization or with all users of ArcGIS Online. You will use this page to organize, access, and work with your content.

At best have a naming convention to identify the groups made from within BA Online.

~Shan

~Shan
David-Semitekol
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Shan, but that doesn't really answer my question.  So can I just delete these groups that are automatically made by Business Analyst or stop them from being created in the first place?

DonnaBuhr
Esri Contributor

Hi David,

Creating a project in Business Analyst Web, automatically creates a group.  Groups are the sharing mechanism of ArcGIS Online that allows all the project content, such as sites, reports, point layers, and other items to be combined. Groups also allows for easy collaboration with other users in an organization on the project and makes them available for use in Story Maps, ArcGIS Online, Collector and other ArcGIS apps. 

The group is a requirement of the BA project and if deleted will create a corrupted project that will no longer be accessible.  Careful consideration should be given before deleting a project.

Thank you for using Business Analyst Web,

Donna

David-Semitekol
Occasional Contributor

Hi Donna

Thanks for the response.  Is there anyway to create a parent folder for the groups that are automatically created by Business Analyst?  My organization creates a lot of projects in BA and we also us AGOL extensively.  The groups we use in AGOL are for organization and security, allowing users to view specific groups/content when necessary.

My request would be for administrative purposes, to try and control / organize all of these new groups.  I treat my file structures like my bookcases, neat and tidy

Thanks!

DonnaBuhr
Esri Contributor

Hi David,

Great feedback on creating projects and how your organization uses groups in ArcGIS Online.  With the current ArcGIS sharing mechanism, it is not possible to change how Business Analyst projects/groups are organized.  I understand your concerns, because I also like things “neat and tidy”.  I will certainly pass your comments and suggestion about better organization controls to others on our team for their review and consideration.  We are always working to improve Business Analyst and your valuable feedback is greatly appreciated by the Business Analyst team.

Thank you for your helpful comments and ideas; please keep them coming. 

Best regards,

Donna