Combine custom territories with standard geography sublayer - Business Analyst

08-25-2018 10:18 PM
deleted-user-P-Gckloxqib2
New Contributor III

I’m looking for a tool in Business Analyst that can combine my custom data to a standard geography table.

I have old polygons with just the name of the franchise in the attribute table and I’m trying to combine it with an updated demographic zip layer.

it’s sort of like a select by location with the franchise as the source layer and the zip codes as the target but then the selected zips must join to its franchise record that it lays under and do this for each record stored in the franchise layer’s attribute table.

Any ideas? 

Thanks, Geonet!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
KyleWatson
Esri Contributor

Hey Sunnie - have you tried Territory Design to do this?  There is a helpful feature in the territory solution creation methods that sounds like it could help.  Check it out...

Manually Create Territories—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

This feature allows you to select names for territories using user database or feature layer with territory names. This can be a table or layer containing a territory manager's list or any other data suitable for naming territories. If it is a feature layer with a geometric field, then this field will be taken into account for assigning the name to a nearest territory. 

As a primary use case, suppose you have a manager's feature layer where the location field is the office location of the manager and name field that contains managers names. After creating territories, each territory will have the name of the nearest manager.

Kyle

0 Kudos
deleted-user-P-Gckloxqib2
New Contributor III

what option do I choose here to import the manual territories I have already created?

0 Kudos
KyleWatson
Esri Contributor

What I think is happening here is that you have polygons of territories (franchises) and want to assign (using spatial intersection) base features to the territories. We don't support this case directly in Territory Design.  So the TD tools can't do it directly, but it can be done using core tools and result is used for Territory Design.

If that's what is happening then Spatial Join will help.  Here's two ways you can go...

(1)  Join Franchise records to ZIP records. The resulting table can be imported to a territory solution with help of TD Import Territories wizard.

(2)  Join ZIP records to the Franchise records, if you want to summarize some demographic attributes of ZIPs and add the summaries to the Franchise records.

More info on Spatial Join is here:  Spatial Join—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos