Runtime Basic License management

Jump to solution
02-07-2022 08:14 PM
GWaltersOZ
New Contributor III

Hi all, 

We are looking to deploy an app that will require us to deploy secure services to unknown users (of sorts) so we are going to use the Runtime Basic License code.

As the licenses are sold in bundles, Esri have said that we have to manage the licenses ourselves because they are not added to a Portal in the same way a Named User is.

I was wondering if anyone else out there has built a working system for this, or is it as simple as a spreadsheet?

We are not sure if the licensing means 1 device per runtime license or we can stick it on as many devices as possible but a maximum of 50 can be active at any one time e.g. (a device can check in/out a code)

Thanks all,

Gareth

@ChrisLeSueur  @MarikaVertzonis any thoughts?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Nicholas-Furness
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @GWaltersOZ.

Licensing is per app per user per device. Please see this documentation for more info.

If you have your app installed on 100 iPads, but only 50 iPads are ever in use at one time, you will need 100 licenses. You could uninstall an app from one device (undeploy 1 license) and reinstall it on another (redeploy that license), but it's up to you to ensure you don't exceed your total number of purchased deployments. We don't build in a way to audit deployments because license strings are designed to be used in completely disconnected scenarios, but since you will be connected, you could build your own solution that phones home so that you know you're staying within your deployment limit.

I also want to make sure that you know you can access secured services with a Lite license as long as you are not editing. I expect you know that, but since you don't explicitly mention editing above I felt it best to mention it here!

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Nicholas-Furness
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @GWaltersOZ.

Licensing is per app per user per device. Please see this documentation for more info.

If you have your app installed on 100 iPads, but only 50 iPads are ever in use at one time, you will need 100 licenses. You could uninstall an app from one device (undeploy 1 license) and reinstall it on another (redeploy that license), but it's up to you to ensure you don't exceed your total number of purchased deployments. We don't build in a way to audit deployments because license strings are designed to be used in completely disconnected scenarios, but since you will be connected, you could build your own solution that phones home so that you know you're staying within your deployment limit.

I also want to make sure that you know you can access secured services with a Lite license as long as you are not editing. I expect you know that, but since you don't explicitly mention editing above I felt it best to mention it here!

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
GWaltersOZ
New Contributor III

Hi @Nicholas-Furness 

Thanks for the reply that is what we expected. Do you happen to know of anyone that has built a simple license manager for themselves? We were thinking of having the device id be sent to a feature service, but then didn't know what would be the best way to manage when contractors are not no longer using it.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos