Geotagged Photos' Lat and Long for Feature Layer Locations

08-05-2020 01:18 PM
GarrettSmith1
New Contributor III

Hello All,

I have been working with the Quick Report Template as a way for users of the app that we are creating to capture locations and photographs of features while they are using the app in the field. Yesterday, when I was looking at our study area, I realized that most, if not all, of the locations where the app will likely be used are areas that do not have cell phone service. 

Within the Quick Report Template there is the Refine Location page where users are able to drop a pin on their location. I am worried that without cell service that this page will have no utility to the users. I especially think that is true with users that are not familiar with the study area and would have no idea where they were when looking at a map and trying to drop a point. 

I am thinking of getting rid of the Refine Location page. However, what I am wondering is, if there is a way that the lat and long from geotagged photos can be used to identify the location of where the photo was taken? This would enable the points the app's affiliated feature layer that is being updated to be placed based on the photo's data.

Please let me know if this makes sense or if any clarification is needed.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ErwinSoekianto
Esri Regular Contributor

Garrett, 

Location service should still work while offline, and you can add an offline map, MMPK for Quick Report template out of the box. Configure Quick Report—AppStudio for ArcGIS | Documentation  

Regarding getting the location of where the photo was taken, this is supported using ExifInfo in AppFramework, https://doc.arcgis.com/en/appstudio/api/reference/framework/qml-arcgis-appframework-exifinfo/ . 

In some platforms where the photo is not returning the location information from the ExifInfo, we have implemented a workaround where you can get the location from the location service and then store this information to the Exif of the image. 

Thank you,

Erwin

0 Kudos