Certificate (.p12) File

Jump to solution
05-15-2017 05:19 PM
NathanDaniels
New Contributor III

How do I convert an iOS distribution certificate (.cert) to a .p12 file using Windows only? Is this even possible? A Google search indicated that it might be possible using openSSL, however I haven't yet got that method to work. Are you able to point me to any instructions/documentation on how to get the .p12 file using Windows only? Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
StephenQuan1
Esri Contributor

A .p12 file contains both your iOS Distribution Certificate (.cer) and your private key. They must match. On a Mac this is achieved by importing your .cer into Keychain Access and making sure that your private key is attached to the iOS Distribution Certificate prior to exporting it as a .p12 file.

On Windows, I don't know of a way to do this step, sorry.

However, after you got your .p12 file, you no longer need access a Mac since you can make use of Cloud Make.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
StephenQuan1
Esri Contributor

A .p12 file contains both your iOS Distribution Certificate (.cer) and your private key. They must match. On a Mac this is achieved by importing your .cer into Keychain Access and making sure that your private key is attached to the iOS Distribution Certificate prior to exporting it as a .p12 file.

On Windows, I don't know of a way to do this step, sorry.

However, after you got your .p12 file, you no longer need access a Mac since you can make use of Cloud Make.

0 Kudos
simoxu
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Nathan,

The answer is yes. 

If you want to create a p12 file using openSSL on a windows machine, you need to create the CSR file and the Private key using openSSL (I did this on a windows machine, but I guess you don't have to). then you can create a iOS certificate using the CSR on the Apple Developer website.

As Stephen mentioned, once you have the certificate and the corresponding private key, you can create p12 file using openSSL.

0 Kudos
KE
by
Occasional Contributor

These links may help you:

Download and Install OpenSSL - (I used Win64 OpenSSL v1.1.0e Light):

https://slproweb.com/products/Win32OpenSSL.html

Follow these directions:

https://www.joshmorony.com/how-to-create-an-ios-provisioning-profile-and-p12-with-windows/