ArcGIS AppStudio Cloud Make Build for IOS and Android gives white screen

Jump to solution
09-24-2020 12:02 AM
BrentSlone3
New Contributor III

Hi Team, 

We have build an app using ArcGIS AppStudio (Windows) Quick Reporter Template.

The app works fine on Appstudio Player, however when we build the app for IOS and Android native and run the .ipa or the .apk on IPhone or Android Phone we are getting blank screen. 

Whitescreen

Any suggestions would be helpful. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ErwinSoekianto
Esri Regular Contributor

Brent, 

I have a couple of questions.

• When did you build it? Using 4.2 or 4.3? We just released the AppStudio 4.3, and we want to try to build it using 4.3.
  • Did you run it in the AppStudio 4.3 AppRun on Desktop? There's a chance this is related to EmailComposer OnComposeError breaking change. What's new in AppStudio—ArcGIS AppStudio | Documentation 

Apps that previously used the EmailComposer onComposeError signal will have to be rebuilt using the new onErrorChanged signal. Without this change, the app will fail to launch.

For the Quick Report template that was built before 4.3, you can make the changes in QuickReport/pages/LandingPage.qml around line 675.

In general, the white screen issue means that there is an issue with some of the QML components. It could be a missing import statement, and it could be something that we made sure that it is working on the Player since a lot of people are using Player for a distribution method. Especially the EmailComposer breaking change issue, we made sure that it is not throwing an error in the Player but if you are doing a Cloud Make, you would need to make the changes and would have seen the error message when running on AppRun in AppStudio Desktop. 

Thank you,

Erwin

View solution in original post

6 Replies
ErwinSoekianto
Esri Regular Contributor

Brent, 

I have a couple of questions.

• When did you build it? Using 4.2 or 4.3? We just released the AppStudio 4.3, and we want to try to build it using 4.3.
  • Did you run it in the AppStudio 4.3 AppRun on Desktop? There's a chance this is related to EmailComposer OnComposeError breaking change. What's new in AppStudio—ArcGIS AppStudio | Documentation 

Apps that previously used the EmailComposer onComposeError signal will have to be rebuilt using the new onErrorChanged signal. Without this change, the app will fail to launch.

For the Quick Report template that was built before 4.3, you can make the changes in QuickReport/pages/LandingPage.qml around line 675.

In general, the white screen issue means that there is an issue with some of the QML components. It could be a missing import statement, and it could be something that we made sure that it is working on the Player since a lot of people are using Player for a distribution method. Especially the EmailComposer breaking change issue, we made sure that it is not throwing an error in the Player but if you are doing a Cloud Make, you would need to make the changes and would have seen the error message when running on AppRun in AppStudio Desktop. 

Thank you,

Erwin

BrentSlone3
New Contributor III

Hi Erwin, thanks for getting back to us, we figured out the same solution. It was really difficult to identify this issue since we ran on AppStudio Desktop (Player) the error did not popup. Only we started bulding the app from scratch the error was observed. We got this issue on 4.2 all of our existing apps are failing to launch. We are in process in applying edits to the code. 

Thank you for your time! 

0 Kudos
ErwinSoekianto
Esri Regular Contributor

Brent, glad to hear this.

We apologize for the inconvenience, this normally does not happen, but it happens to have a breaking change on 4.3. We released AppStudio 4.3 last week, so we recommend that you upgrade the AppStudio Desktop 4.2 to 4.3, since the Cloud Make version has been upgraded to 4.3. 

Erwin.

0 Kudos
MarthaRodgers
New Contributor III

Also having a blank white screen showing up at launch during iOS native app testing.  But we are using the Survey123 templates in AppStudio.  Any insight to this issue?  We downloaded the latest AppStudio 4.3.  The app was working in the Player before the update, but now it's not working anymore.  

Thanks
Martha

0 Kudos
ErwinSoekianto
Esri Regular Contributor

Martha, 

One thing I can think of is the EmailComposer breaking change, https://community.esri.com/thread/260205-apprun-error-while-running-survey123-template 

Thank you,

Erwin

0 Kudos
MarthaRodgers
New Contributor III

Thank you Erwin!  That fixed it!

Now I just need to figure out if there is a way to immediately download a Public survey - not just open it in my Native app.   I figured out how to have it open immediately, but if the app isn't downloaded, how can I get that to work?  (no login needed obviously....)

...I've been searching for an answer with no luck...

Thanks!

Martha

0 Kudos