Select to view content in your preferred language

KmlLayer - "viewRefreshMode"

04-08-2011 01:57 AM
MichaelLibio
Emerging Contributor
Hello All,

I don't know if it's something I've missed, but I was wondering if the network link refresh is supported or planned for implementation.   Refreshing during specified time intervals are great, but it would be even better is to refresh when the extent of the map changes (as indicated by the "viewRefreshMode" element of the kml doc, thus passing along the BBOX query string parameter)

I know I can grab the source code and play with it, but I wanted to prioritize my work.  Like all developers, I can work on other things if this is planned in the near future.
0 Kudos
7 Replies
SanLefo
Emerging Contributor
Hello friend.

If i understood correctly, you've managed to refresh kml data in Arcgis Explorer Online, using the "OnInteval" code. I have a problem making this command work. I created a .kml file with the following code:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<kml xmlns:atom="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom" xmlns="http://www.opengis.net/kml/2.2">
<NetworkLink>
  <Url>

<refreshMode>onInterval</refreshMode>
    <refreshInterval>20</refreshInterval>
<href>http://92.118.182.164:7080</href>

</Url>
</NetworkLink>
</kml>

I used the "Add Service" and added the kml file. When i try to load the data on a Map, it just loads for one time. Althought it seems like it is trying to refresh data, it keeps showing the same positions.
Any ideas of what i am doing wrong?

Thanks
0 Kudos
DominiqueBroux
Esri Frequent Contributor
RefreshInterval is supported from 2.3. Which version are you using?

Note that refresh based on Regions and Lods will be supported in 3.0.
0 Kudos
SanLefo
Emerging Contributor
Thank you for the reply, dbroux.

As i've checked, the GE Servers i am using produce kml files version 2.0. Arcgis Server 10 produce kml webservices version 2.2.
Is there an upgrade at least for Arcgis Server, concerning this kml version matter?

Thank you.
0 Kudos
DominiqueBroux
I meant version 2.3 of the ArcGIS API for Silverlight (not of the kml version).

Sorry it was not clear.
0 Kudos
SanLefo
Emerging Contributor
Dominique, I am using ArcGIS Explorer Online. I feed kml data from 3 different server to this application, i don't want to create a personal application. If i understood correctly, the problem is that ArcGIS Explorer Online doesn't support Silverlight version 2.3. Right?
If this is the case, is there an upgrade roadmap for ArcGIS Explorer Online to support Silverlight version 2.3?
0 Kudos
DominiqueBroux
San,

You are right the current version of ArcGIS Explorer Online is based on the version 2.2 of ArcGIS API for Silverlight.
At this time, there is no immediate plan to upgrade to 2.3 or 2.4 but you should get better answers by posting your question on the ArcGIS Explorer Online forum.
0 Kudos
DominiqueBroux
After telling the ArcGIS Explorer OnLine team about this issue, it turns out that ArcGIS Explorer Online is using its own implementation of the KML layer (and not the toolkit version), so ArcGIS Silverlight 2.2 or 2.3 should not matter.

Might be a browser cache issue?

You will get better answer on the ArcGIS Explorer OnLine forum.(I saw you posted your question there)
0 Kudos