What are reasons a map doesn't show up on testing an ArcGIS API for python installation?

07-23-2018 04:26 PM
AngelaDeegan
Occasional Contributor

Any idea why I'm not seeing a map come up when I test my ArcGIS API for python installation? I followed the instructions in Install and set up | ArcGIS for Developers. You probably need more information to answer this question. If you do, please let me know what would be helpful to have.

Tags (1)
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Yup... since it works for me... but I am on a machine will full admin rights, no network stuff etc etc

0 Kudos
AngelaDeegan
Occasional Contributor

I have version 1.4.1 of ArcGIS API for Python. Also, I have two environments. So I switched my active environment to the one that had been inactive to test if that would help. But in that environment, I can't even create a new notebook in order to run the test above. Here's the output I get in the command window:

[W 12:29:19.999 NotebookApp] Permission denied: Untitled.ipynb
[W 12:29:20.000 NotebookApp] 403 POST /api/contents (::1) 264.00ms referer=http:
//localhost:8888/tree

I'm a total novice with ArcGIS API for python, so any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
JohnYaist1
Esri Contributor

Hi Angela Deegan

Try opening a command prompt and navigating to a directory where you know you have write privileges.  Then activate the environment you created:

activate myarcgispro-py3

(If you receive an error that the command cannot be found, add the path to the conda executables to your PATH environment variable. It should be in C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\Scripts.) 

After the environment is activated, then type

jupyter notebook

Once in the browser create a new notebook and attempt to add the map. Does that work?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

John, do you mean the 'proenv.txt' file, there are no *.pth files in that location

0 Kudos
JohnYaist1
Esri Contributor

No, I am referring to add the path to the conda executables to PATH if the activate command is not found when running it at the command prompt.

0 Kudos