VS Code arcgis extension

02-09-2020 11:37 PM
CliveSwan
Occasional Contributor II

Greetings,

I am trying to find the arcgis Python API extension for VS Code.

I was able to find the ArcGIS API for JS API and the AppStudio extension in the marketplace, but not the arcgis Python extension???

Any assistance appreciated.

Kind regards,

Clive

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RoyceSimpson
Occasional Contributor III

I'm attempting to do the same (or similar) but am stuck.  I'd like to use VS Code as my python IDE as well as Jupyter Notebook env but can't figure out how to get it working.  I have ArcGIS Desktop 10.7.1 and ArcGIS Pro 2.4 installed on my windows pc. 

When I fire up VS Code, I'm only presented with what look to be the 10.7 Python interpreters and not the Pro one, which is what I need.  How do I get VS Code to recognize the Pro (python 3) interpreter.  I've tried putting in the path to the python exe into the settings.json file for the python.pythonpath setting (C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3) but it doesn't like it and reverts back to the 10.7 path. 

Does anyone have the right sauce to get this working?

0 Kudos
ChrisMathers1
Occasional Contributor II

VSCode doesnt like the default Pro environment for some reason. Esri might have a solution they could offer but if you go into the Python settings in Pro and clone the default environment then open VSCode the cloned environment shows up. No idea why it does this. It can get messed up when Pro updates, you may have to delete the clone and re-clone. I just went through this.

ErikLash1
Occasional Contributor

Working for me using default Pro environment in Pro 2.6.

Followed guidelines from this stack exchange post. arcpy - ArcGIS Pro Python Interpreter Setup with Visual Studio Code - Geographic Information Systems... 

Summarizing approach: 

• Make sure that Pyhon extension is installed in VS Code.
  • Press CTRL + , (comma) to open VS Code settings > type "pythonpath" in the search bar > update the following to match the if doesn't already.
    • Python > Auto Complete > Typeshed Paths : C:/Program Files/ArcGIS/Pro/bin/Python/envs/arcgispro-py3/python.exe
    • Python > Jedi Path : C:/Program Files/ArcGIS/Pro/bin/Python/envs/arcgispro-py3/python.exe
    • Python > Python Path : C:/Program Files/ArcGIS/Pro/bin/Python/envs/arcgispro-py3/python.exe
0 Kudos