Upload against a Hosted Feature Service?

01-24-2019 02:36 AM
SimonJackson
Occasional Contributor III
  • I have a polygon featureclass in a local file Geodatabase.
  • I want to Append-Upsert this against an existing Hosted Feature Service in AGO (same schema)
  • I know that you can upload the fGDB against the hosted feature service and then use this in an Append with appendUploadId
  • I might be missing it, but the the ArcGIS Python API seems to be missing this capability - to perform an upload against an existing hosted feature service?

I know there are other options:

• Upload the fGDB to the portal as an item, and then use this in an append (prefer to avoid this approach)
  • Convert the layer to a featurecollection and pass this in directly with the edits param on append 
    • Not entirely sure how to convert my featureclass to a featurecollection (?) in order to do this, happy to attempt this approach as then I can skip out on any uploading.

Thanks for any pointers.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
simoxu
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Simon,

Is this what you are looking?

arcgis.features module — arcgis 1.5.2 documentation 

Or you can use edit_features(adds=None, updates=None,....)

There is an example for it

updating_features_in_a_feature_layer | ArcGIS for Developers 

Hope these information are useful for you

Cheers

0 Kudos
SimonJackson

Hey again Simo

No its not so much the actual appending, its the uploading of a fGDB against the Hosted Feature Service itself (as opposed to an item in the portal) which I cant spot an easy way of doing without using the requests library and working directly with the REST endpoint. 

Will see if I can share some code.  Here is a Javascript equivalent.

0 Kudos
simoxu
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello Simon,

It seems we have to do it in two steps:

Step 1: update the File Geodatabase item

Step 2: use the File Geodatabase item to update the Feature Service via append function which supports upsert.

I did a quick test here, and it seems works fine. 

It would be good if we can update the feature service using zipped FGDB directly. and I don't know why the API doesn't. Hope someone from the development team can comment on this.

But we can workaround it by delete the zipped FGDB item after the update. I am just guessing, it really depends on your own workflow

Cheers

SimonJackson
it by delete the zipped FGDB item after the update

You can actually bypass the above approach of uploading directly to the portal as an item (still a very valid approach for appending) and upload your fGDB directly against a hosted feature service.

Benefit is that this data is manually cleaned automatically by the back-end Server and no reliance on you having to delete.

Appending definitely supports using this via the appendUploadID parameter on the REST endpoint.

But with the Python API:

• Cant spot anything that might help me upload to begin with
  • The append method does not have an equivalent appendUploadID, just a Portal Item ID - item_id

I am ok working around this by using the requests module, but might be worth including in a future release?

0 Kudos
simoxu
MVP Regular Contributor

I see.

There is a method called upload for the FeatureLayerCollection class.

but the append function for FeatureLayer does not have a upload_id parameter, and in the source code I can see the upload_id was intentionally set to None. So I assume the upload_id was deliberately disabled for the function.

0 Kudos