'updates' parameter is valid, Geometry update is not allowed.

Jump to solution
01-22-2021 08:50 AM
JayHodny
Occasional Contributor III

Hello.  We have a python script running in Windows Task Scheduler.  The script retrieves vacant parking space counts from a vendor's database through their API.  The counts are updated every minute in our editable feature service, displaying the current number of vacant parking spaces in a couple of municipal parking lots.  In the past few days, I noticed the counts were not updating.  The script has been working since November 2019, though I don't know when it stopped.  We have not edited the script since placing it into production in November 2019.  ArcGIS Pro is installed on the server, we updated Pro to v 2.7 today.  For troubleshooting, I ran the script manually, and noticed the following error.  I am a Python novice.

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "C:\PythonScripts\free_spots_VM_testing.py", line 58, in <module>

update_result = ports_flayer.edit_features(updates=[sfo_edit])

File "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\lib\site-packages\arcgis\features\layer.py", line 2393, in edit_features

return self._con.post(path=edit_url, postdata=params)#, token=self._token)

File "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\lib\site-packages\arcgis\gis\_impl\_con\_connection.py", line 720, in post

force_bytes=kwargs.pop('force_bytes', False))

File "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\lib\site-packages\arcgis\gis\_impl\_con\_connection.py", line 514, in _handle_response

self._handle_json_error(data['error'], errorcode)

File "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\lib\site-packages\arcgis\gis\_impl\_con\_connection.py", line 536, in _handle_json_error

raise Exception(errormessage)

Exception: Cannot perform operation. Invalid operation parameters.

This operation is not supported.

'updates' parameter is invalid

Geometry update not allowed.

(Error Code: 400)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayHodny

I may have figured out the cause.  In the hosted feature service Items page in AGOL, I found a geometry update option in "Settings....Editing...What kind of editing allowed?"  Under 'Update,' there is a choice to include 'Attributes and geometry.'  I clicked on "Manage geometry updates" and discovered the feature layer in the service was not selected.  I clicked the layer on. Saved.  Refreshed, ran the script and no errors.  I refreshed the application in the browser and could see the vacant space counts were updating each minute and the script was now working as expected.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JayHodny

I may have figured out the cause.  In the hosted feature service Items page in AGOL, I found a geometry update option in "Settings....Editing...What kind of editing allowed?"  Under 'Update,' there is a choice to include 'Attributes and geometry.'  I clicked on "Manage geometry updates" and discovered the feature layer in the service was not selected.  I clicked the layer on. Saved.  Refreshed, ran the script and no errors.  I refreshed the application in the browser and could see the vacant space counts were updating each minute and the script was now working as expected.

0 Kudos