Unreadable Custom Portal Role Name

05-14-2019 08:23 PM
ChrisPedrezuela
Occasional Contributor III

When I try and create list of all our Portal and AGOL users, and expose roles and the default roles come out correctly but for custom roles that were created, they usually come out as unreadable text as show below,

O4FzYnPm7f7Ra30H
YUwn201gWi7MEcLU

Is there a way to properly get the role names?

Thanks,

Chris P

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
FayDearing
New Contributor

To the best of my knowledge those are the proper role names. When a custom role is created in the background it creates that string of unreadable text to uniquely identify it. This way if your organization has a "Content Manager" role and my organization has a "Content Manager" role then python will be able to identify which role you want for your user instead of getting confused if our Content Manager permissions are different. Think of it as the Group ID string of text, but for roles.

0 Kudos
ChrisPedrezuela
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks Fay. I see from documentation that there is a "roleId" apart from "role" that can be exposed, so interesting that they don't have something like "roleLabel" or something. Anyway I guess i'll just look more to the online doc if there is a way otherwise I cannot its something I cannot add to my report that I am trying to automate.

0 Kudos
AdenaSchutzberg1
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Fay, Chris,

Jamie Powell‌ and I just found and submitted a bug in the Python API on this matter. We were working in ArcGIS Online, but had the same issue. The good news is that for now you can use the "unreadable" (what I like to call "ishkabible") text for the custom role and code will respect it.

Adena

0 Kudos
tempJamiePowell
New Contributor

Hello Fay, Chris,

The issue is that the user role name, and user role id are switched in the source code. Obtaining the role from the user will always return the id. If you attempt to search for a user by name using the ID text returned, you will not get any search results. As a work around I am now searching by roleId instead.

Thank you,

Jamie Powell

0 Kudos
AvinashPatel
New Contributor II

Hi 
You can use 

from arcgis.gis import GIS 
source = GIS("Portal Web Adaptor URL", "Admin", "Password")
role_mgr = arcgis.gis.RoleManager(source)
roles = role_mgr.all()
for role in roles:
 print("Role Name: {}".format(role.name))
 print("Role Privileges: {}".format(role.privileges))

0 Kudos