Question about license and license + arcpy

Jump to solution
05-03-2020 12:48 PM
Aðalsteinn_MarÓlafsson
New Contributor III

Hi,

First part of the question since it might resolve the second problem automatically.

Our organization has ArcGIS Desktop and a license for Spatial Analyst and 3d Analyst, these I can activate in the extensions options there. Now I open ArcGIS Pro and I they are marked as installed extensions but not licensed.

How can I activate them in Pro, is there a separate licensing program for these modules within Pro or does our corporate admin need to activate these extensions for Pro (read something in that direction somewhere)?

Secondly, if I cannot activate them in Pro (if for some reason when you've paid for a set of tools that you can only use within one environment but not the other), how can I direct my Python code (using Visual Studio Code) to use the tools which are licensed by the Desktop part of the program?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Both Pro and ArcGIS Desktop/ArcMap have their own, separate ArcGIS Administrators.  For Pro, the ArcGIS Administrator screen is integrated into the application under Licensing.  Did you borrow licenses for Pro and ArcGIS Desktop/ArcMap?

View solution in original post

9 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

How do you manage your licenses?  Do they come from named users at AGOl or do you have a local license manager?

That should just about do it....
Aðalsteinn_MarÓlafsson
New Contributor III

It's a local License Manager

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

contact your organizations admin person, all available licenses for *map should be available for *Pro unless you are using shared licenses and you have to *check* out a license in order to use it and *return* them when you are done

Aðalsteinn_MarÓlafsson
New Contributor III

We are using shared licenses and we check out the license once we check it in extensions options.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

As Joe mentioned, it helps to state what licensing model your organization is using:  Single Use, Concurrent Use, Named User, etc....

Technically (not rhetorically technically but technically technically)ArcGIS Desktop/ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro licenses are separate licenses.  Without knowing more about the licensing models for ArcMap and Pro in your organization, I can't suggest anything specific.

Regarding your second question, ArcGIS Desktop/ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro have completely separate Python interpreters.  If you want VS Code to use the one for ArcGIS Desktop, then configure VC Code to use the Python interpreter bundled with ArcGIS Desktop.

0 Kudos
Aðalsteinn_MarÓlafsson
New Contributor III

We have the model for Concurrent Use. I get that the licenses are separate for the programs, but the extensions is about each program having access to the same licensed toolbox?

I have directed the interpreter to the 2.7 inside ArcGIS 10 but to no avail, I can run it in the python code within catalog/map and or using model builder, but the same code stops when I try to run it from the IDE.

Anyway, I'm quite new to ArcGIS, IDE's and Python so it's a mouthful to chew all at once.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Both Pro and ArcGIS Desktop/ArcMap have their own, separate ArcGIS Administrators.  For Pro, the ArcGIS Administrator screen is integrated into the application under Licensing.  Did you borrow licenses for Pro and ArcGIS Desktop/ArcMap?

Aðalsteinn_MarÓlafsson
New Contributor III

Got it, had to open "Configure your licensing options". What stopped me initially was on the front page there is a window with "Esri Extensions" that said it wasn't licensed, should perhaps show license activated/available Yes/No. Anyway, thank you for the help.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

If that solved the problem for you, please check Joshua Bixby's answer as correct.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos