Python API with Jupyter Notebook not displaying Maps

08-05-2016 09:32 AM
JosiahCorona2
New Contributor II

I can get everything else returned except the maps. I know the page says its subject to change. Any ideas?

Seems this step might be the issue:

Enable map widget:

The ArcGIS Python API includes a map widget for embedding maps in the Jupyter notebook environment. To enable the map widget for all users, use the following command:

python -m arcgis.install

If you are on a Linux system and do not have permission to install the widget system-wide, you can install it in your local user profile by using the following command instead:

python -m arcgis.install -u

You can now start using the ArcGIS Python API in your Python IDE of choice, or the Jupyter Notebook environment.

Tags (2)
17 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It would be helpful to provide some more specifics.  Are you on Windows or Linux?  Which Python environment are you trying to install this into?  What commands, specifically, did you try?  Any errors? 

JosiahCorona2
New Contributor II

Windows 64-bit

installing to Python 3 environment

Used python -m arcgis.install but no conformation on install just returned a new command line. No errors.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Python 3 environment associated with ArcGIS Pro or Anaconda install or something else?

It might be worth verifying that ipywidgets was installed and working.

I have seen cases where people run the arcgis.install script but they don't have all the proper permissions on the Python installation folders.  The script doesn't error, but it doesn't fully install either.  Do you have permissions to modify the necessary folders of the Python installation?

0 Kudos
MarvinPerry
Esri Contributor

One suggestion I have Josiah Corona​ is instead of 'python -m arcgis.install' try using the command 'python3 -m arcgis.install'

It's possible that python without the 3 is defaulting to python 2, which isn't supported by this particular api.

Hopefully that helps. Let us know how it goes.

ahmedelashry
New Contributor II

Hello , Am having the same issue here , every thing is working except the map is not showing 

I took by your advice and tried the "pythno3" instead of the "python" to enable the map widget but it didn't succeed.

is there any other solution ??? 

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What Python installation, specifically, are you trying to install this in?

Also, when you try to display a map, what happens?  An error?  Nothing at all?

0 Kudos
ahmedelashry
New Contributor II

I have the same specs as the guy who asked the question ,

"Windows 64-bit

installing to Python 3 environment

Used python -m arcgis.install but no conformation on install just returned a new command line. No errors."

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I never got a response from the OP to my follow-up question.  There is no singular Python 3 environment.  I can install Python 3 either stand alone (download from Python.org), as part of ArcGIS Pro, as part of Anaconda, or through other means; what specific Python installation/environment are you trying to install ArcGIS Python API into?  Also, what specific version of 3.x?

0 Kudos
ahmedelashry
New Contributor II

Also when I try to get a map nothing happened at all , no errors nor outputs

0 Kudos