No Module arcgis

02-07-2017 05:35 PM
TonyHowze
Occasional Contributor

Hello all, 

I went through the guide to install the new Python API, and a few issues happened.  First off I'm running ArcGIS Pro 1.4, Windows 10.  I opened the Python Command Prompt, executed the commend "conda install -c esri arcgis" worked, but wasn't able to launch jupyter notebook right away.  I then installed jupyter using "pip install jupyter"  which worked, and I was able to open a notebook with "jupyter notebook".  If I start a new Python 3 notebook or run a sample I get an error when importing the module arcgis, as shown below:

from arcgis.gis import *
gis = GIS()

---------------------------------------------------------------------------ImportError                               Traceback (most recent call last)<ipython-input-1-bc0d972ca319> in <module>()----> 1 from arcgis.gis import *      2 gis = GIS() ImportError: No module named 'arcgis'

What am I missing?  

0 Kudos
7 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

You need to run the Jupyter notebook from the same `Python Command Prompt` in which you installed the `arcgis` package. Can you confirm this workflow works?

It looks like you tried to run it from Windows terminal and had to pip install Jupyter using it

0 Kudos
TonyHowze
Occasional Contributor

Atma thanks for the reply.  I have been doing this all from the Python Command Prompt found under the ArcGIS start menu, even the pip install. 

0 Kudos
TonyHowze
Occasional Contributor

Edited Follow up:  I reinstalled the conda install -c esri arcgis and now it works.  I believe there was an error on the first pass due to the folder permissions.  I had to grant full access to the ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python folder under the windows properties.  It was read only with my recent upgrade to Windows 10.  

Everything was working, I was able to see the map, all the cells were working fine until I tried the 'import arcgis.lyr'  Error says there is no arcgis.lyr module.  Also noticed there is no arcgis.tools and arcgis.viz.  I have attached an image of the attributes available in arcgis module on my machine.  

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

A side note: If you installed ArcGIS Pro for all users (installs in c:\Program Files) then you would have to run the 'PYthon command prompt' with admin privileges. The prompt warns you of this as well. If you installed for just you / current user (installs in C:\users\username\appdata..) then its not necessary. This could also be a reason for the folder permissions.

Regarding `arcgis.lyr`, the API went through a redesign between beta 3 and version 1.0 and the `lyr` and `viz` modules were removed but no functionality was dropped. You can find more information on the modules here https://developers.arcgis.com/python/guide/overview-of-the-ArcGIS-Python-API/

0 Kudos
JustinReynolds
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks for following up on this thread Tony.  I was able to import the arcgis module using Jupyter Notebooks after reinstalling the 'conda install -c esri arcgis' from the Python Command Prompt.   Regarding the arcgis module my circumstances appear different. I originally installed Jupyter Notebooks from ArcGIS Pro (ArcGIS Pro 2.0.1, Windows 8.1).  I had no problems importing the arcgis module for about a month.  I was trying to solve a Jedi autocomplete problem at which point I uninstalled/reinstalled Jupyter, ipython, jedi, and Spyder from ArcGIS Pro.  From this point forward I could not import the arcgis module in Jupyter.

Similar to your experience I had to grant full access to the ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python folder under the windows properties as the first try was unsuccessful due to folder permissions.

'''1st try at reinstall'''

(arcgispro-py3) C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3>conda
   install -c esri arcgis
   Fetching package metadata .............
   Solving package specifications: .

Package plan for installation in environment C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Pyt
   hon\envs\arcgispro-py3:

The following NEW packages will be INSTALLED:

arcgis: 1.2.4-py35_1 esri

The following packages will be UPDATED:

ipywidgets: 5.1.5-py35_0 esri --> 5.2.2-py35_1

Proceed (/n)? y

CondaIOError: IO error: Missing write permissions in: C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pr
   o\bin\Python
   #
   # You don't appear to have the necessary permissions to install packages
   # into the install area 'C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python'.
   # However you can clone this environment into your home directory and
   # then make changes to it.
   # This may be done using the command:
   #
   # $ conda create -n my_arcgispro-py3 --clone="C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Py
   thon\envs\arcgispro-py3"

'''2nd try at reinstall after granting full control to Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python'''

(arcgispro-py3) C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3>conda
   install -c esri arcgis
   Fetching package metadata .............
   Solving package specifications: .

Package plan for installation in environment C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Pyt
   hon\envs\arcgispro-py3:

The following NEW packages will be INSTALLED:

arcgis: 1.2.4-py35_1 esri

The following packages will be UPDATED:

ipywidgets: 5.1.5-py35_0 esri --> 5.2.2-py35_1

Proceed (/n)? y

Uninstalling prior versions of arcgis widget
   Installing C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\lib\site-pa
   ckages\arcgis\widgets -> arcgis
   Making directory: C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\shar
   e\jupyter\nbextensions\arcgis\
   Copying: C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\lib\site-pack
   ages\arcgis\widgets\custom.css -> C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\ar
   cgispro-py3\share\jupyter\nbextensions\arcgis\custom.css
   Copying: C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\lib\site-pack
   ages\arcgis\widgets\mapview.js -> C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\ar
   cgispro-py3\share\jupyter\nbextensions\arcgis\mapview.js
   ages\arcgis\widgets\__init__.py -> C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\a
   rcgispro-py3\share\jupyter\nbextensions\arcgis\__init__.py
   Making directory: C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\shar
   e\jupyter\nbextensions\arcgis\icons
   ages\arcgis\widgets\icons\marker.png -> C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\e
   nvs\arcgispro-py3\share\jupyter\nbextensions\arcgis\icons\marker.png
   ages\arcgis\widgets\icons\pink.png -> C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\env
   s\arcgispro-py3\share\jupyter\nbextensions\arcgis\icons\pink.png
   e\jupyter\nbextensions\arcgis\requirejs
   ages\arcgis\widgets\requirejs\text.js -> C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\
   envs\arcgispro-py3\share\jupyter\nbextensions\arcgis\requirejs\text.js
   e\jupyter\nbextensions\arcgis\__pycache__
   ages\arcgis\widgets\__pycache__\__init__.cpython-35.pyc -> C:\Program Files\ArcG
   IS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\share\jupyter\nbextensions\arcgis\__pycache
   __\__init__.cpython-35.pyc
   - Validating: ok

To initialize this nbextension in the browser every time the notebook (or ot
   her app) loads:

jupyter nbextension enable arcgis --py --sys-prefix

Enabling notebook extension arcgis/mapview...
   - Validating: ok

- Justin Reynolds, PE
0 Kudos
TonyHowze
Occasional Contributor

I had a suspicion that the tutorial samples were out of date.  Now I see, looking at the Release Notes.  Thank you for your help. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

The samples were updated as well. You can get the latest from here https://github.com/Esri/arcgis-python-api/releases

0 Kudos