Metadata scripting - 10.X Failure

09-19-2019 09:06 AM
LouieRowley
New Contributor II

We found some code and modified it to go through our SDE data and remove certain information such as server names from our metadata using the arcpy.XSLTransform_conversion and arcpy.MetadataImporter_conversion . The tools to do this process work from the application with each upgrade/new install however the scripting will fail because arcpy is looking for a couple of libraries in the GAC that are not registered.  

Current environments do not have the gacutility and it can be difficult to find, so I found the instructions for using Powershell.  I pass this on to all those who have a similar issue, you would think that ESRI would fix such a thing but metadata is obviously a low priority, look at how ArcGIS Pro is coming along in this area, disappointing.

-------  What you  need to know

The dlls are at YOURDDRIVE:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.6\bin  {10.6 would be whatever version}

MetadataTranslator.dll, GpMetadataFunctions.dll

Run Powershell in Admin mode and run commands, see below.  

Comment:  Startup system reflection

[System.Reflection.Assembly]::Load("System.EnterpriseServices, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a")
$publish = New-Object System.EnterpriseServices.Internal.Publish

Comment: use reflection to install dll into GAC.  I moved the dll to temp location but that is not neccessary, it just makes the path a little less of a problem with all the spaces in the name etc.

$publish.GacInstall("c:\temp\MetadataTranslator.dll") 

Comment: Note $publish.GacRemove should remove a library from GAC.

Verify install:

Comment: use reflection to confirm it has been added to GAC

([system.reflection.assembly]::loadfile("c:\temp\MetadataTranslator.dll")).FullName

Tags (2)
1 Reply
PeggyFung
New Contributor II

Hi Louie,

I just wanted to say that I was having this exact problem (able to run in ArcCatalog but not via a script). After running the PowerShell commands, I was able to run the script.

Thank you very much!

Peggy