Jupyter Notebook with ArcGIS Pro 2.0

05-03-2018 05:24 AM
KentaOkuyama
New Contributor III

I'm a beginner ArcGIS Pro user. I'm also a beginner to Python. After trying many example ArcPy scripts of geo-processing, I found it very useful and want to utilize them more efficently. I learned that Jupyter Notebook is pretty useful and it comes with the installation of ArcGIS Pro.

I have a issue of not seeing any folder choice that i can save and organize my scripts in Jupyter notebook. I really appreciate if anyone could help how to manage this.

I followed these steps of my instllation. 

1. Install ArcGIS Pro 2.0

2. Open a new project and go to the Python package manager

3. I installed arcgis package

4. I opened Python terminal under ArcGIS from the start menu, and typed Jupyter Notebook

5. Jupyter Notebook is opened and I can make scripts, run geo-processing tools

6. There is no problem of running the code. But there are no folders, such as Desktop or Documents in Jupyter Notebook that I can select, so all the created scripts are saved in Jupyter Notebook page without any directory

Do I need to install Anaconda to deal with this? 

I really appreciate any directions.

5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If you installed Pro, you already have the Anaconda distribution.  Did you install Jupyter through it?

you can create a folder like so.

0 Kudos
KentaOkuyama
New Contributor III

Hi Dan,

Thank you so much your assistance. 

I don't think I installed Jupyter through Anaconda distribution. I followed the step of this website.

Install and set up | ArcGIS for Developers 

As this instruction says, after I installed ArcGIS Pro 2.0, I opened a new project, and installed arcgis package. 

This is what I have installed. 

I don't see any Anaconda tool (nothing shows up when I type Anaconda in the search box of the start menu), and also don't see Jupyter notebook shortcut

So I type "jupyter notebook" in the Python Command Prompt, and use it as of now...

As you described, looks like I can create a new folder, but I wonder how and where my scripts would be saved. It will be nice if I can save the scripts in Documents or Desktop. 

I appreciate your further assistance. 

Thank you so much for your help.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Kenta,

Go to Start > All Programs > ArcGIS.  You should have a Jupyter Notebook shortcut there:

This will open Jupyter referencing your C:\Users\<User Profile> location.  Here you have access to Documents, Desktop, etc.

KentaOkuyama
New Contributor III

Hi Jake, 

Thank you so much for your help. But I could not see Jupyter notebook Shortcut since I installed ArcGIS Pro 2.0.

If I go from the Start menu > ArcGIS, then it shows only these

I also cannot find Anaconda in PC by typing it in the search box.

I can open my Jupyter notebook from the Python Command prompt by typing "jupyter notebook", and then the window shows up like this.

1) Type jupyter notebook 

2) Then this window shows up

I can make new scripts, but there are no folders like: Desktop or Documents, so I wonder how to organize my scripts...

Should everyone be able to have Jupyter notebook Shortcut usually? 

I appreciate further assistance. 

Thank you so much.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

sure have... https://community.esri.com/blogs/dan_patterson/2017/07/01/arcgis-pro-2-creating-desktop-shortcuts

My shortcut is 

C:\ArcGISPro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\pythonw.exe "C:/ArcGISPro/bin/Python/envs/arcgispro-py3/Scripts/jupyter-notebook-script.py"

with start in set to

C:\Git_Dan\JupyterNoteBooks

With the first part being the ArcGIS Pro python executable... keep the ....\bin\Python\etcetera part, the direction to the folder containing the Jupyter-notebook-script.py and then the folder that contains your JupyterNoteBooks

My ArcGIS Pro is installed in C:\ArcGISPro ... yours will be in a different folder

0 Kudos