Select to view content in your preferred language

Installing ArcGIS python package using pip breaks pip/virtual env

04-06-2022 09:10 AM
CParker
New Contributor II

I am attempting to install ArcGIS python package in a clean virtual env. I'm running Python 3.10.4 currently. After running 'pip install arcgis' it looks like it installs correctly, but then nothing works. I cant run a script in that virtual env, I cant run any pip commands. The only option has been to delete the virtual env. 

Example errors after install, was running pip freeze:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python310\lib\importlib\_common.py", line 89, in _tempfile
    os.write(fd, reader())
  File "C:\Users\XXXXX\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python310\lib\importlib\abc.py", line 371, in read_bytes
    with self.open('rb') as strm:
  File "C:\Users\XXXXX\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python310\lib\importlib\_adapters.py", line 54, in open
    raise ValueError()
ValueError

I have also tried installing arcgis with no dependencies and then installing the bare minimum, but then python complains that modules are missing and wont run a script with a arcgis import.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
CParker
New Contributor II

Good luck! I had to delete the virtual env and start over for my dev environment...

0 Kudos
JosephRathvon
Occasional Contributor

I know it has been a while but I wanted to update this thread.  I recently had another run in with what you are describing. I figured out that the arcgis api for python only supports up to 3.9.x.  So 3.10 was your issue.  ArcPro indicates this limitation but up until recently the documentation on the developers site just said 3.7 or later.  It has been updated to reflect that it doesn't support past 3.9.x.

NFlourish
Occasional Contributor

This was the answer I needed!