How to use the content_status property 'authoritative' in an item search

Jump to solution
04-29-2021 12:02 PM
JaredPilbeam2
MVP Regular Contributor

I'm looking at content_status property for 'authoritative' in the docs. I'm not sure how to use that as a parameter in a search. What I want to do is list all my 'authoritative' hosted feature layers and then download them.

I didn't think it would work, but I have tried:

from arcgis.gis import GIS
gis = GIS("", "", "")

my_content = gis.content.search(query="owner:" + gis.users.me.username, 
                                item_type="Feature Layer", 
                                content_status='authoritative',
                                max_items=15)
my_content

#error
TypeError: search() got an unexpected keyword argument 'content_status'
cont = my_content.content_status='authoritative'
cont

#error
AttributeError: 'list' object has no attribute 'content_status'
items= gis.content.search(content_status='authoritative')

#error
TypeError: search() got an unexpected keyword argument 'content_status'

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor
auth_items = [i for i in gis.content.search('', item_type='Feature Layer', max_items=-1) if i.content_status == 'org_authoritative' or i.content_status == 'public_authoritative']

auth_items

A bit less efficient, but you could just iterate over all Feature Layer items and look directly at the property in question.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

10 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

As you've noticed, content_status doesn't seem to be a searchable property in the standard content search.

Oddly, content status needs to be searched in the query string, and has to be done a couple different ways.

auth_items = gis.content.search('contentstatus:org_authoritative OR contentstatus:public_authoritative')

for item in auth_items:
    # your download process

Edit: the page you ought to reference is this: https://developers.arcgis.com/rest/users-groups-and-items/search-reference.htm

But it looks like contentstatus isn't in the list. I've sent some feedback to get it added.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
JaredPilbeam2
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks @jcarlson .

If it's is a query string why doesn't this result in anything?

auth_items = gis.content.search(
    'contentstatus:org_authoritative AND contentstatus:public_authoritative')
for i in auth_items:
    print(i)

I ran it with OR but for some reason I only got back a handful of Items from our orginization. And only one of these was mine when I know I have at least eight 'authoritative' layers alone.

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Strange! "AND" won't work; as far as I can tell, an item can't have both statuses.

Try adding the parameter "max_items=-1"?

auth_items = gis.content.search('contentstatus:org_authoritative OR contentstatus:public_authoritative', max_items=-1)

for i in auth_items:
    print(f'{auth_items.index(i):4} | {i.title}')

Returns

0 | 03-35
   1 | Millbrook South Forest Preserve Trails 11x17
   2 | 02-07
   3 | Drainage Districts Oveview
   4 | County Board District and Legislative and Congressional Districts
   5 | 03-29
- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
JaredPilbeam2
MVP Regular Contributor

It's hard to say what that query string parameter is doing? The results I'm seeing range from dashboards to webmaps, not just feature layers. And only 1/4 I randomly looked at was 'authoritative'.

That print statement printed out 2045 orginization-wide items, which is basically every item in our AGOL account.

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Well, anything can have "Authoritative" status. Add "item_type='Feature Layer'" to further filter that.

Odd that it would cast such a wide net. When I test it, it brings back the expected items.

Try watching your network traffic when you click the "Authoritative" filter in the content page and see what it's doing.

jcarlson_1-1619728232238.png

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
JaredPilbeam2
MVP Regular Contributor

That's true, I didn't realize that. Regardless, I'm showing only 32 items with 'authoritative' status when viewing Content under My Organization.

That's interesting. I'm getting a Cross-Origin Request Blocked when clicking the 'Authoritative' filter.

16:11:50.370 Cross-Origin Request Blocked: The Same Origin Policy disallows reading the remote resource at https://mobileanalytics.us-east-1.amazonaws.com/2014-06-05/events. (Reason: CORS request did not succeed).

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor
auth_items = [i for i in gis.content.search('', item_type='Feature Layer', max_items=-1) if i.content_status == 'org_authoritative' or i.content_status == 'public_authoritative']

auth_items

A bit less efficient, but you could just iterate over all Feature Layer items and look directly at the property in question.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
JaredPilbeam2
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks @jcarlson,

Not sure why your first bit of code wasn't giving me the same results as the second bit of code. But after adding this parameter to the second bit I was able to get the desired results.

query="owner:" + gis.users.me.username
0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I was signed as our org's admin user when I tested it. Perhaps that had some impact?

In any case, I'm glad you got it to return the results you want!

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS