Filter layer inside webmap

Jump to solution
09-03-2018 06:53 AM
IonutAlixandroae3
New Contributor II

Hi all,

Is there a posibility to filter an operational layer inside a webmap (similar to what definition query does in ArcMap) and after to save the webmap with the new updates?

I`m at the step where I iterate through my layers from my map but I cannot find the solution to apply a filter/definition query to them.

Thanks,

Ionut

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JeffBigos
Esri Contributor

Thanks for looking at that a bit more, The code I had on there was for applying the filter to the featurelayer.

Below is another code block for how you can access a web map isolate a layer in a webmap and change the filter.

To test the code below:

1. create a basic webmap in your organization titled TimeZoneRegions
  2. Add the following featurelayer to the map  Layer: World Regions (ID: 2) 
  3. Save the map

The one Dependency of the code below is the WorldTimeZones - World Regions operational layer in the webmap needs to have a filter set already.

There is a block of code below that will check to see if a Layerdefinition exists on the operational layer before it gets applied:

if 'layerDefinition' in tZoneLyr:

Code:

from arcgis.gis import GIS
import copy
from json import dumps
from json import JSONDecoder
from arcgis.mapping import WebMap

#Connect to the Organization
gis = GIS("https://www.arcgis.com", "<UserName>", "<passW>")

#Search for the webmap
webmapPub = gis.content.search("title:TimeZoneRegions",item_type = "Web Map")

#Use a list comprehension to find the right one you are updating
timeZoneWebMap = [wmap for wmap in webmapPub if wmap.title == 'TimeZoneRegions'][0]

#Get the webmap json
pubMapJson = timeZoneWebMap.get_data(try_json=True)

# Filter Expression to apply to layer
lyrFilter = "REGION = '{0}'".format("Antarctica")

#Make a deepcopy of the json to modify
fldMapJsonCopy = copy.deepcopy(pubMapJson)

#List comprehension to find the one layer you need to modify by title
#Here you could loop on all layers to modify the filter too.
lyrT = [l for l in pubMapJson['operationalLayers'] if l['title']== 'WorldTimeZones - World Regions']

if len(lyrT) >0:
    tZoneLyr = lyrT[0]
    if 'layerDefinition' in tZoneLyr:
       z = [[x, y] for x, y in enumerate(pubMapJson['operationalLayers']) if y['title'] == 'WorldTimeZones - World Regions'][0]
       fldMapJsonCopy['operationalLayers'][z[0]]['layerDefinition']['definitionExpression'] = lyrFilter

#Save the changes to the Webmap
timeZoneWebMap.update(item_properties={'text':dumps(fldMapJsonCopy)})

View solution in original post

9 Replies
JeffBigos
Esri Contributor

Hi Ionut,

Take a look at the following post, the question is similar, although it was in regards to a single layer.

https://community.esri.com/thread/206220-how-to-add-a-filter-to-an-arcgis-online-item-using-the-pyth... 

Thanks, 

Jeff

IonutAlixandroae3
New Contributor II

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the quick feedback! 

I tried the solution you provided but for some reason, the get_data() method returns None..

I`d also like to point out that in the solution you provided, the item is obtained by searching the content and retrieving the Feature Layer; in my case, I have an operational layer in a web map; not sure if it`s the same thing.

As I can see, the sql expression is mounted on definitionExpression on the object, but in my case I cannot find this property on the layer object from my webmap.

Thanks,

Ionut

0 Kudos
IonutAlixandroae3
New Contributor II

UPDATE:

You were right, I`ve used your solution to get a workflow.

I`ve managed to iterate through layers in the webmap, and for each one, I`ve replace it with the same, just that I applied the definitionExpression on it; something like this:

for layer in webMapLayers:
   layerTitle = layer.title

srcResults = adminGIS.content.search(layerTitle)
   featCollection = srcResults[0]

sql = "sql filter"

webMapItem.remove_layer(layer)
   webMapItem.add_layer(featCollection)
   webMapItem.layers[0]['layerDefinition']['definitionExpression'] = sql

webMapItem.update()

Thanks again,

Ionut

0 Kudos
JeffBigos
Esri Contributor

Thanks for looking at that a bit more, The code I had on there was for applying the filter to the featurelayer.

Below is another code block for how you can access a web map isolate a layer in a webmap and change the filter.

To test the code below:

1. create a basic webmap in your organization titled TimeZoneRegions
  2. Add the following featurelayer to the map  Layer: World Regions (ID: 2) 
  3. Save the map

The one Dependency of the code below is the WorldTimeZones - World Regions operational layer in the webmap needs to have a filter set already.

There is a block of code below that will check to see if a Layerdefinition exists on the operational layer before it gets applied:

if 'layerDefinition' in tZoneLyr:

Code:

import copy
from json import dumps
from json import JSONDecoder

#Connect to the Organization
gis = GIS("https://www.arcgis.com", "<UserName>", "<passW>")

#Search for the webmap
webmapPub = gis.content.search("title:TimeZoneRegions",item_type = "Web Map")

#Use a list comprehension to find the right one you are updating
timeZoneWebMap = [wmap for wmap in webmapPub if wmap.title == 'TimeZoneRegions'][0]

#Get the webmap json
pubMapJson = timeZoneWebMap.get_data(try_json=True)

# Filter Expression to apply to layer
lyrFilter = "REGION = '{0}'".format("Antarctica")

#Make a deepcopy of the json to modify
fldMapJsonCopy = copy.deepcopy(pubMapJson)

#List comprehension to find the one layer you need to modify by title
#Here you could loop on all layers to modify the filter too.
lyrT = [l for l in pubMapJson['operationalLayers'] if l['title']== 'WorldTimeZones - World Regions']

if len(lyrT) >0:
    tZoneLyr = lyrT[0]
    if 'layerDefinition' in tZoneLyr:
       z = [[x, y] for x, y in enumerate(pubMapJson['operationalLayers']) if y['title'] == 'WorldTimeZones - World Regions'][0]
       fldMapJsonCopy['operationalLayers'][z[0]]['layerDefinition']['definitionExpression'] = lyrFilter

#Save the changes to the Webmap
timeZoneWebMap.update(item_properties={'text':dumps(fldMapJsonCopy)})
IonutAlixandroae3
New Contributor II

Hi Jeff,

That`s sweet! Thanks a lot!

Although, what if get_data() method on my layer returns None?

Because that`s what happened to me and I had replace the original layer with itself but with a filter applied...

Again, thanks a lot for your feedback!

Best,

Ionut

0 Kudos
IonutAlixandroae3
New Contributor II

EDIT: Just needed to use the data correctly.

SOLUTION : webMapItem.layers[len(webMapItem.layers) - 1]['layerDefinition']['drawingInfo'] = json.loads(str(simbol)) 

where simbol is actualy the json data for symbology for the layer.

Hi Jeff,

In the same way 'definitionExpression' is set above, I`m trying to do with 'drawingInfo' property on the layer, but when I`m setting the info, I`m getting "Object of type 'PropertyMap' is not JSON serializable".

Basically, I`m iterating every layer in the webmap, remove each one, and after add it again, set the 'layerDefinition''definitionExpression' to filter the data and after I`m trying to also set the intial symbol, but somehow it`s not working...

Any idea??

Thanks,

Ionut

ZacharyHart
Occasional Contributor III

Jeff Bigos

I'm looking to implement something nearly identical to this: modifying a filter to a feature layer within a web map and saving a new copy. I'm struggling to find what arguments (proper documentation) are expected for

I've looked at your other example here and have tried to piece things together but I'm not having any luck. I don't fully understand what the enumeration process here is and don't think i need it.

import json, copy
gis = GIS("https://my/portal", "UseMe", "L1f3izGr@nd!")

webMapSearch = gis.content.search("title: NortheastFieldData2",item_type = "Web Map")
pubMapJson = webMapTest.get_data(try_json=True)
layerMod = [l for l in pubMapJson['operationalLayers'] if l ['title']=='NortheastCruisePoints']
lyrFilter = "LVI_CODE = '{0}'".format("7532")
fieldMapCopy = copy.deepcopy(pubMapJson)
fieldMapCopy['operationalLayers'][layerMod]['layerDefinition']['definitionExpression']=lyrFilter

Error:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
TypeError                                 Traceback (most recent call last)
<ipython-input-37-aec78b329a7c> in <module>
----> 1 fieldMapCopy['operationalLayers'][layerMod]['layerDefinition']['definitionExpression'] = lyrFilter

TypeError: list indices must be integers or slices, not list
0 Kudos
MaazaMekuria
Occasional Contributor

I am late in replying, but the error is indicating the data you have is a list not a dictionary.  Check out if what you are getting is what you are expecting. 

I also notice that the index 'layerMod' of the 'operationalLayers' variable seems to be erroneous.

ZacharyHart
Occasional Contributor III

I just can't find any reliable documentation about this. I have had a ticket open with tech support that's older than a month now.

0 Kudos