Error while authenticating when displaying map

02-25-2019 04:54 PM
simoxu
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello folks

Have you seen this annoying message when displaying a map in the Jupyter Lab/notebook:

In the browser console:

My GIS environment is ArcGIS Portal 10.6 with federated ArcGIS servers, IWA authentication.

If I connect to AGOL, there will be no warnings. So I think my jupyter environment should be fine, it's on the GIS side...

All advises and comments are welcome

0 Kudos
7 Replies
simoxu
MVP Regular Contributor

I still have this issue, and I am also getting the following Error when trying to create a FeatureLayerCollection:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
RuntimeError                              Traceback (most recent call last)
~\AppData\Local\ESRI\conda\envs\arcgispro-py3-clone\lib\site-packages\arcgis\gis\__init__.py in _hydrate(self)
-> 8995                 self._refresh()

~\AppData\Local\ESRI\conda\envs\arcgispro-py3-clone\lib\site-packages\arcgis\gis\__init__.py in _refresh(self)
   8961         else:
-> 8962             dictdata = self._con.post(self.url, params, token=self._lazy_token)

~\AppData\Local\ESRI\conda\envs\arcgispro-py3-clone\lib\site-packages\arcgis\_impl\connection.py in post(self, path, postdata, files, ssl, compress, is_retry, use_ordered_dict, add_token, verify_cert, token, try_json, out_folder, file_name, force_bytes, add_headers)
-> 1159                 self._handle_json_error(resp_json['error'], errorcode)
   1160                 return None

~\AppData\Local\ESRI\conda\envs\arcgispro-py3-clone\lib\site-packages\arcgis\_impl\connection.py in _handle_json_error(self, error, errorcode)
   1179         errormessage = errormessage + "\n(Error Code: " + str(errorcode) +")"
-> 1180         raise RuntimeError(errormessage)

RuntimeError: Token Required
(Error Code: 499)

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

~\AppData\Local\ESRI\conda\envs\arcgispro-py3-clone\lib\site-packages\arcgis\gis\__init__.py in _hydrate(self)
   9003                     self._lazy_token = None
-> 9004                     self._refresh()

~\AppData\Local\ESRI\conda\envs\arcgispro-py3-clone\lib\site-packages\arcgis\gis\__init__.py in _refresh(self)
   8961         else:
-> 8962             dictdata = self._con.post(self.url, params, token=self._lazy_token)

~\AppData\Local\ESRI\conda\envs\arcgispro-py3-clone\lib\site-packages\arcgis\_impl\connection.py in post(self, path, postdata, files, ssl, compress, is_retry, use_ordered_dict, add_token, verify_cert, token, try_json, out_folder, file_name, force_bytes, add_headers)

~\AppData\Local\ESRI\conda\envs\arcgispro-py3-clone\lib\site-packages\arcgis\_impl\connection.py in _handle_json_error(self, error, errorcode)
   1179         errormessage = errormessage + "\n(Error Code: " + str(errorcode) +")"

(Error Code: 499)

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

<ipython-input-20-d415c0042ac8> in <module>
----> 1 flc = FeatureLayerCollection.fromitem(disrupt_tenancies1617)

~\AppData\Local\ESRI\conda\envs\arcgispro-py3-clone\lib\site-packages\arcgis\gis\__init__.py in fromitem(cls, item)
   8952         if not item.type.lower().endswith('service'):
   8953             raise TypeError("item must be a type of service, not " + item.type)
-> 8954         return cls(item.url, item._gis)
   8956     def _refresh(self):

~\AppData\Local\ESRI\conda\envs\arcgispro-py3-clone\lib\site-packages\arcgis\features\layer.py in __init__(self, url, gis)
   1520         try:
-> 1521             if self.properties.syncEnabled:
   1522                 self.replicas = SyncManager(self)
   1523         except AttributeError:

~\AppData\Local\ESRI\conda\envs\arcgispro-py3-clone\lib\site-packages\arcgis\gis\__init__.py in properties(self)
   8970             return self._lazy_properties
   8971         else:
-> 8972             self._hydrate()
   8973             return self._lazy_properties

9011                         # try token in the provided gis
   9012                         self._lazy_token = self._con.token
-> 9013                         self._refresh()
   9015         if err is not None:

8960             dictdata = self._con.get(self.url, params, token=self._lazy_token)
   8961         else:
   8964         self._lazy_properties = PropertyMap(dictdata)

1157                                          verify_cert=verify_cert, is_retry=True)

1182 class _StrictURLopener(request.FancyURLopener):

(Error Code: 499)‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍

and I can't get layers or tables for hosted Feature Service. 

It will be really good if I can get a hint from one of the API insiders

Rohit Singh

David Vitale

0 Kudos
simoxu
MVP Regular Contributor

I was told the error 499 is related to a bug:

#BUG-000109779 ArcGIS API for Python is unable to access hosted feature layers in Portal with Integrated Windows Authentication configured, unless the layer is shared with 'Everyone'

The error message in the map is a separate issue, although it is related to authentication also.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

simo xu‌ In regards to your error message in the map widget: Does your Enterprise have CORs enabled? Are you using the most up-to-date Python API? I've tested the most recent Enterprise against the most recent Python API and the CORs is working fine in my case, but there are a lot of moving parts for web authentication.

If you're looking for a quick workaround, serving your notebooks locally over https will provide a fix to any CORs issue. But it should be possible to interact with the notebook over http since ArcGIS Enterprise supports CORs.

0 Kudos
simoxu
MVP Regular Contributor

David Vitale‌ Thank you for your attention to this issue.

We left all CORs settings in our portal and ArcGIS Servers to the default value, and according to ESRI document, the default settings should allow CORs.

I also tried to serve the notebook over https (using a self-signed certificate), but the warning on the map widget remains. plus, I can't add any hosted feature layer to the map widget either. and I am not sure if these symptoms are linked back to the same cause.

Despite our setting is IWA authentication, ESRI support suggests me explicitly login my portal using my username and password like this due to a bug.

dcsiportal=GIS(url="https://portal_url",username="simo@DomainName")

This allows me to access the data in the private hosted feature layers, but these layers still can't be added to the map widget.

Thanks

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the info simo xu‌ . I'll try to set up an IWA portal and add private features to a map, see if I can reproduce your error.

One last question for you: are you on v1.6.0 of the Python API? We added an IWA widget authentication fix that just made it into v1.6.0 of the Python API, using that version could potentially fix your issue.

0 Kudos
SimoXu1
New Contributor II

David Vitale

Hi David

The latest version 1.6.0 seems fixed it, no more error message in the map widget and I can add layers to the map! magic

Only one thing I'd like to bring to your attention is that I still have to provide my username and password to login my portal, otherwise I can't access data in the hosted feature layers, for example if I want to use Spatially Enabled Dataframe (SEDF) to do the analysis. According to the online document, I should omit my username and password when the portal is using IWA authentication. Not a big deal, just in case this is an oversight in the document or in the API itself.

Thank you for your help.

Simo

0 Kudos
dgiersz_cuyahoga
Occasional Contributor

Did anyone ever figure this out? I'm using Notebooks in Pro and get this error. And I can't add any data to the map.

#CLE #sloth
0 Kudos